Bad discs or bad drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Bought 2x25pks of blank unbranded DVD-R's.
    Seemed to have no problem with the first 25 but many coasters with the 2nd.
    Doesn't matter what I'm putting on the disc, whether it's a DVD copy, an AVI
    to DVD conversion or home movie.
    Burn process goes OK, even though discs are rated 8x I burn at 4x. On
    playback of burned disc it will start OK but maybe 1/2 way through will
    start getting picture breakup and eventually freeze.
    PC specs:
    Athlon 64 3200
    2 x 512MB PC 3200 in dual channel mode
    NEC ND 2500A DVDRW
    HDD space not an issue and kept well defragged etc., background apps closed
    when burning.
    Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm burning with Nero, copying with DVD
    Shrink or burning from an app like Movie Factory or Elements.
    Recently upgraded m/b, CPU, RAM and PSU, this problem was there on the old
    system also.
    Have fairly much narrowed it down to the discs or the drive.
    Nero info identifies the disc mfr. as TTG01, does anyone have any experience
    of these and whether they're reliable?
    I live well outside town so it may be a while till I can get in to buy some
    different branded discs or DVDRW's to try.
    Question is is it the discs or is the drive going bad?
    Of the discs on this page:
    http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/home.php?cat=292
    which would be the most recommended?

    Kenny, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Meant to send this to but will welcome comments
    or opinions here.

    Kenny, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Kenny

    ivan Guest

    ivan, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Return the second pack.

    Plato, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Borrowed a few Ritek's and they burned flawlessly.
    Won't be buying those others again!

    Kenny, Oct 25, 2005