    Regenerator to fix this? Does that mean the other partitions are OK?.....
    A little advice here would be appreciated. The WD Diag utitlily gave it a
    SMART fail in the Raw Read Write category.

    02befree, Oct 19, 2006

  2. 02befree

    philo Guest

    A few bad clusters are not always something to worry about...
    and it's not worth it trying to recover them...

    ****however**** the SMART fail means that you need to backup and *replace*
    the drive ASAP...

    if it's still under warranty get an RMA

    philo, Oct 19, 2006

  3. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    It is ALWAYS worth running Spinrite. The "bad clusters" may not
    be bad at all, but merely no longer directly in the path of the
    r/w heads. Spinrite will fix that. That's why you paid the big
    money for the program.

    SgtMinor, Oct 19, 2006
  4. 02befree

    Meat Plow Guest

    Bad clusters are rare. Couple that with a SMART fail and I would backup or
    image the drive and RMA it back to WD ASAP.

    Meat Plow, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Compare the value of your data with the cost of a new HD....kind of a
    no-brainer about getting a new one, huh?

    Doug

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 19, 2006
  6. 02befree

    ian field Guest

    Most modern HDs electronically re-map any bad sectors so you never actually
    see them, if there has become more than the drive can disguise its time to
    start thinking about a new drive.

    OTOH some types of virus conceal the body of their code in fake (falsely
    marked as bad) bad sectors. Rare these days, but can't say it never happens!

    ian field, Oct 19, 2006
  7. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    4kB is one cluster exactly. But the fialed SMART means the disk is dying.
    You migh get it to work for a few days or even weeks, but it will die.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  8. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    With todays ECC on disks, SpinRite is essentially worthless.
    It was different a long time ago.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  9. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Rare, because modern virusses are too large for that. And they cannot
    cause a bad SMART status.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  10. 02befree

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not even possible with servo drives.
    Nope, he got scammed. So did you.

    Rod Speed, Oct 20, 2006
  11. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    If your lost data is worthless you should not worry about
    retrieving it.

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006
  12. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    Wrong. The OP asked about using it which implied he had a copy.
    In that case it's ALWAYS worth using as it does no harm.
    You don't know what you're talking about.
    I speak from experience.
    Having recovered data from several bad disks, and having removed
    so-called "bad sectors" from others, I don't feel scammed in the
    least. I have owned and used various versions of SpinRite for
    over 15 years and I don't know of anything that can revive hard
    drives the way it can.

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006
  13. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    My data is not worthless, but what SpinRite does is. I can run a
    long SMART self-test with much the same result, but without the
    cost.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  14. 02befree

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Depends. It causes disk-load. And it costs time. It may also
    give false hope....

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 20, 2006
  15. 02befree

    craigm Guest

    Can you explain what you mean about not being in the path of the r/w heads?

    craigm, Oct 20, 2006

  16. Rotflol.
    That is a rather colourful way of saying that the OS won't use them anymore.

    No it won't. (it may fix the filesystem though).

    Utterly clueless.

    Too bad it hasn't got anything to do with ECC, babblebot.

    No it's not, although the previous version was rather useless on SCSI.

    When it had a different function.

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 20, 2006
  17. Nonsense, you should never use it on a drive that has only hours to live.
    You will kill it almost instantly.
    Sure, but you do, right.
    There actually is another obscure program that claims to do the same, the
    one mentioned above.

    Folkert Rienstra, Oct 20, 2006
  18. 02befree

    Al Dykes Guest

    What does spinrite claim to do?

    Al Dykes, Oct 20, 2006
  19. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest

    Steve Gibson, the creator of Spinrite, explains that over time the
    heads can drift from the position they had when the data was first
    written to the sector. As a result the now mis-aligned heads can
    no longer access that data and thus the sector may be marked as
    "bad." The DynaStat component of SpinRite jolts the heads across
    the platter in an attempt to locate those heads back over the
    place the data was written. It then reads that data and rewrites
    it. Here's how it's explained in the SpinRite documentation:

    "During this exhaustive rereading, DynaStat employs its second
    recovery strategy of deliberately wiggling the drive's heads. By
    successively approaching the troubled sector from different
    distances and directions, the heads arrive at the sector's track
    at different velocities, which in turn produce small but
    significant displacements in the head's resting position. This
    allows DynaStat to compensate for the long-term alignment drift
    that occurs in non-servo based drives, and the positioner
    hysterysis that occurs in servo-based designs.
    Thus the drive's heads are given every opportunity to land in the
    best possible location to correctly read the sector. This approach
    is also extremely effective at recovering data from misaligned
    diskettes – which SpinRite 3.1 is proving to be extremely
    effective upon."

    You can hear the clattering sounds from the hard drive when
    SpinRite does its thing. It's a great program and I highly
    recommend it to people who are trying to extract valuable data
    from "bad" sectors.

    See "SpinRite's Technology" on this page:
    http://www.grc.com/srdocs.htm

    SgtMinor, Oct 20, 2006
  20. 02befree

    SgtMinor Guest