    The number of megapixels determines the *maximum* number of images you
    can take using that card, but you didn't say that.

    A number is not a function. It can be the result of a function.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014

  2. Some cards come with free recovery software. Check around your
    house/studio for download serial number cards that you haven't thrown
    out. Generic software may work too.

    When I've experienced this in the past, the cause was that the camera
    had been writing files while the contacts were dirty. Only a few files
    were damaged while the rest were hidden behind a destroyed volume
    directory.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 24, 2014

  3. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    no that's not the point. the point is that having small cards means you
    need to swap cards more often, which takes time and will result in lost
    opportunities.

    and if the camera shows it was recorded and for some reason it can't be
    copied to the computer, then recovery software will get the photos, so
    your made up scenario is a non-issue.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  4. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    yes i did say that.

    i forgot i need to dumb it down because you have the intelligence of a
    housefly.

    this was never about number of images taken. it has always been about
    card capacity and how many to bring.

    you are either very stupid or intentionally arguing.
    more mindless babble.

    and you're still wrong about the probability of a failure, which i
    noticed you snipped. typical.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  5. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You are making a point of the time lost in swapping cards? What could
    you possibly be photographing where this could be an issue? What
    never has a break in the action as long as the few seconds it takes to
    swap cards?

    While all cameras don't have visible indication of the space left on
    the card like my D300 does, they all indicate how many photographs
    have been recorded. At some point, the photographer will know he's
    running low on space available.
    A non-issue? Recovery software *may* recover the images, but that's
    not assured. If a card doesn't upload the images, it would certainly
    be an "issue".

    Yesterday I shot over 300 images at a grade school "graduation". I
    needed to process those images and send them to someone who is making
    a slideshow disk for the students. The disks have to be distributed
    as soon as possible so all students get one before school is over.

    If I was dicking around today trying to find a recovery program
    because my card didn't upload, I would certainly consider that an
    "issue".

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    I set my camera to not take the image if the card is full, or not inserted.

    PeterN, May 24, 2014
  7. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Since it was my point, see my resonse to Tony Cooper.
    Cannnot happen with my settings.

    PeterN, May 24, 2014
  8. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    While you are correct, Twin engine planes can still fly on one engine.

    PeterN, May 24, 2014
  9. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    That does not seem to me to be what the point is here. In this case,
    the card is not full and is inserted. It's recording images. However,
    when you get home and upload the images, the card will not do so. The
    images are there but not retrievable in the normal way.

    Carrying extra cards has nothing to do with this problem. The person
    with this problem does not know that the card will not upload, and has
    no reason to replace the card.

    The size of the card has nothing to do with this problem, either.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  10. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    i never said the chances was big. however, carrying eight 2 gig cards
    versus one 16 gig card means that chance is now 8x as much. it may
    still be quite small, but there is clearly a higher chance of a
    failure.

    plus with multiple cards, there's more of a chance for other problems,
    such as the user to mistakenly using a filled card as a blank, losing a
    card or missing shots while swapping cards. not huge for any of them
    but nonetheless, not zero with one card.
    exactly.

    and tony will still disagree.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  11. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    why didn't that person simply recover the failed card?

    and why not use a camera that has two card slots and have it write to
    two cards at the same time? that way, you can get two large cards and
    not have to deal with any swapping. that's one of the main reasons
    there are two card slots.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  12. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    lots of things can, such as sports, theatre, geysers at yellowstone
    (been there, done that), kids and more.

    i keep an eye on how many photos are left and swap when it's low and
    there's a break in the pace rather than run it dry, but sometimes that
    can't be guaranteed.
    you don't say!
    if the image is was written to the card, then recovery software will
    almost certainly recover it.
    then you're really inept.

    the recovery process takes a few minutes and if you didn't know of
    which app to use, then a search takes even less time to find a suitable
    app. if you were truly prepared, then you'd already have such an app.

    and you keep telling us that you're retired and have lots of time on
    your hands anyway.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  13. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    where is this setting, where the camera can take an image when the card
    is full?

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  14. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    oh yes it can.

    your camera settings will not prevent a card failure.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  15. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    so you run recovery software. the process takes a few minutes.

    it's not a big deal.

    it's also very rare that it will happen anyway.
    actually it does.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  16. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    i've never had a complete card failure but i have had the occasional
    corrupted image (with the rest of the card's images perfectly fine), at
    least according to the computer. the image was actually valid and
    recovery software was able to get it.

    a friend of mine recently gave me a card he accidentally overwrote,
    thinking it was blank and i recovered it for him.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  17. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The only disagreement that I have is that you are basing your claim on
    a set of conditions that do not necessarily apply to every
    photographer. It's that "i do it this way, so everyone should do it
    this way" attitude you have.

    Assuming a photographer that's smarter than a turnip, the photographer
    uses a system that is known to work for that photographer.

    I have never filled a 4 gig SD card. I just don't take that many
    images in a day, and I shoot RAW. My bag, when I was using a Nikon
    D60, contained three 4 gig SD cards. The only times when I switched
    cards was when to different events took place on the same day and I
    wanted the images on separate cards. That was rare.

    Now that I'm using a Nikon D300, I have two 8 gig CF cards. I've
    never filled one of those in a day's shooting. For a recent middle
    school graduation project, and at the season-ending baseball game and
    the ceremonies, I shot about 300 RAW images each session and still had
    room on the cards.

    Your points aren't incorrect or inapplicable, but your attitude that
    these points apply to all photographers is irritating.

    I know you're going to say "i never said that", but your tone clearly
    conveys that "do it my way" attitude.

    Personally, my position is that if Peter feels the better system is to
    carry a dozen 1 gig cards, then that's Peter's decision. He didn't
    ask for anyone else's opinion.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  18. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I shoot sports, and there's always a break in which the cards can be
    swapped. Always. Kids? What a ridiculous claim that shooting
    photographs of kids - doing anything - doesn't present a time to swap
    cards.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  19. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Wow. I'm impressed. *Really* impressed. You have a friend? I
    wouldn't have guessed that.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  20. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    exactly on cue!

    it applies not just to every photographer, but to everyone who uses
    multiple cards (or multiple anything) and can be mathematically proven.

    despite that, i'm sure you'll continue to argue.
    it has nothing whatsoever with what i do or do not do. nowhere did i
    even say what i do.

    i'm only presenting the facts. what someone wants to do with those
    facts is entirely their choice and always has been there choice. you
    are once again, lying and twisting what i say *just* to argue.

    Guest, May 24, 2014