    I received the following from a fellow CC member. I don't know how to
    solve her problem.
    Does anyone here have any ideas?

    PeterN, May 23, 2014

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    That's a deluxe brain fart.

    PeterN, May 23, 2014

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    the Duck pointed out my brain fart.

    Here is her message:

    I am finally getting to look at my card from eth mAy 5th shooting night
    and the card won;t be read by the camera - PC - or any other devise.
    Suggestions on how to get theses images off this one CF card without
    spending an arm and a leg?

    PeterN, May 23, 2014
  4. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    The following what?[/QUOTE]

    presumably a bad cf card, as noted in the subject.

    photorescue may be able to recover photos.

    Guest, May 23, 2014
  5. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, May 23, 2014
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    presumably a bad cf card, as noted in the subject.

    photorescue may be able to recover photos.
    [/QUOTE]

    thanks,
    I'll pass the information on.

    PeterN, May 23, 2014
  7. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    if the card won't mount, then the task becomes more difficult. you need
    an app that can directly access the raw volume. most can but not all.

    if the controller in the card has failed, then even that won't work. at
    that point, a commercial recovery service is needed and it can usually
    be recovered. however, it won't be cheap.

    Guest, May 23, 2014
  8. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    thanks. She wasn't using a good quality card, and I didn't think it was
    a good time to lecture her. She was practically in tears.
    Several years ago I learned, the hard way, to always carry extra cards.
    A few months ago I learned, again the hard way, that card speed matters.
    Actually I was in a hurry and didn't check the speed. As to quality
    cards, I always use either SanDisk or Lexar.

    PeterN, May 23, 2014
  9. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    card speed is unrelated to reliability.

    faster cards are nice to have if the camera can take advantage of it,
    and also to speed up copying to the computer, regardless of what the
    camera does.
    sandisk and lexar may be safe bets, but they too can fail.

    Guest, May 23, 2014
  10. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Nor do I. If the camera shows the images were recorded, but they
    won't upload to the computer, extra cards would not have helped.

    Tony Cooper, May 23, 2014
  11. PeterN

    J. Clarke Guest

    Not necessarily. It's more likely that there's a broken connection on
    the circuit board than that the chip itself is bad. If so it may be
    repairable.

    J. Clarke, May 24, 2014
  12. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    either you have a relatively low megapixel camera or you don't mind
    managing a shitload of cards.

    and by having more cards, the chance of any one of them failing is
    higher.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  13. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    A shitload of cards is only needed if a shitload of images are taken.
    What? If you have one card, the odds of that card failing is 1:1. The
    odds are the same for each additional card.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  14. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    you don't say!
    wrong.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  15. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The number of megapixels that the camera captures is not the point as
    you stated the problem. It's the number of images.
    Actually, it's correct. Either the card is good, or it isn't.

    Once again, you had something in mind in each statement that you did
    not say, and object when it's pointed out.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014
  16. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    the number of images is a function of the number of megapixels.
    yep, what i said was correct.

    what *you* said is wrong, however.

    and if the odds of your card failing really is 1:1, then you ought to
    buy a different brand.
    except this isn't about just one card.
    nope. what i wrote was very clear and very correct.

    you once again are arguing just to argue and making a fool out of
    yourself in the process.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  17. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    But extra cards will reduce the lost opportunity.

    PeterN, May 24, 2014
  18. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    2GB Won't get me far. I shoot RAW with a D800.

    PeterN, May 24, 2014
  19. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    exactly the point.

    even with a 24mp camera, 2 gig won't hold much.

    for old 6mp cameras, it's adequate.

    Guest, May 24, 2014
  20. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The point is, Peter, that if the camera shows the image is recorded,
    but the card will not upload when you get home, you won't know to use
    to use the second card.

    Tony Cooper, May 24, 2014