    cheap.
    b> Is this a good excuse to change over to LCD?
    c> How do people get on with one monitor?

    cowboyz, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Probarbly the powersupply in the thing has died. If its a result of something
    else in it, then its most likly not worth fixing as all the pc company monitors
    I have seen have being low end crap that tops out at 1280x1024 or lower.
    Do you need an excuse?
    Decent resolution

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 6, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    T.N.O. Guest

    I had this problem with a monitor of mine, it cost me $50 to get fixed,
    but that was mates rates, so no idea how much it really costs.
    I don't know, I use two at work, one at home... for the moment, Im
    moving to dual screens when I get my new desk.

    T.N.O., Dec 6, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    chris Guest

    I've just recently upgraded my e-cheapo 17" CRT to a nice Philips 17" LCD.
    Now I'm wondering why I didn't buy an LCD ages ago.

    Chris

    chris, Dec 6, 2003
  5. cowboyz

    T-Boy Guest

    Sounds like the LOPT's done it's dash - the Line Output Transformer
    which generates the high voltage and has a high voltage lead comin out
    of it that goes into the screen. Might be $90 or so to fix - all
    depends on the price of the LOPT really (if that's what's wrong with
    it).

    I'm not a fan of LCD's (yet) - I don't think the colour depth is there
    yet, compared to a good monitor. And most of 'em have required
    resolutions they must be run at (eg 1024.768 - and if you change to say
    800.600 (not that I would :) they look like crap).

    T-Boy, Dec 6, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    I never go over 1024x768 anyway. I find myself sqinting and painful to sit
    at the computer for more than an hour at higher resoultions. but yeah,
    both that monitor and my other philips 107s are only capable of 1280x1024.
    only a small one.

    cowboyz, Dec 6, 2003
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    I might just not bother... The PC still thinks the monitor is plugged in.
    That has to be a good sign and you can turn the monitors power on a nd off
    but it has inherrited a nasty squeal now.
    I feel a town day coming up... time to start looking for one I think.

    cowboyz, Dec 6, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    You did exceptionally well to post this without a monitor. I'm
    impressed!

    GraB, Dec 6, 2003
  9. 1: Asuuming you can get it and
    2: Assuming that the LOPT going down hasn't friend other stuff.

    I spent a fair amount of time and effort trying to get some 21" Philips
    CRTs going again after their LOPTs went (trinitron screens!) however they
    were forever after sensitive to temperature and resolution changes -
    they'd change size while warming up AND wouldn't return to the right size
    when switching back to one resolution from another.

    Monitors are built so cheaply these days that it's usually cheaper to
    replace them for anything other than dry joints - and even with those the
    amount of time expended finding the bloody things can easily cost twice
    as much as a new monitor.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 6, 2003
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    FIGJAM>

    cowboyz, Dec 6, 2003
  11. cowboyz

    T.N.O. Guest

    Well of course you are... it wouldn't have anything to do with point "c"
    now would it?

    T.N.O., Dec 6, 2003
  12. cowboyz

    Gordon Guest

    Hell yes, no matter how poor and for anything.

    Gordon, Dec 7, 2003
  13. cowboyz

    ? Guest

    Most PC Co CRT monitors were rebranded Likoms. We've had a few come through
    work and have had to write them off as we've not been able to get parts for
    them :(.
    If you need an excuse then yup, if you can afford to, look at the ones with
    the zero
    dead pixel warranty on them. There is nothing worse than a bright red dead
    pixel
    in the middle of the screen that you can't do a thing about.
    HTH

    ?, Dec 7, 2003