    reports the wrong size

    searched but cant find out the fix, is this a common problem??

    thanks in advance

    Bradley26, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Bradley26

    Thor Guest

    was probably partitioned and formatted with FAT16 rather than FAT32 or NTFS.
    Try removing the existing partition using disk management, and recreate an
    NTFS partition instead, then format it.

    Thor, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Bradley26

    L;ozT Guest

    .....or another possibility is that the BIOS on some older PC's often cannot
    handle newer, larger drives, though the smallest limit I had so far come
    across was 20Gb. If, and I mean IF, this is the problem, one solution would
    be to split the disk into a number of 2 Gb partitions, a second would be to
    'flash' your BIOS with a BIOS upgrade from the manufacturer.

    PS, ........re: Thor's comments, if the drive is formatted NTFS, forgetting
    for a moment the size issue, this will be fine in XP, but will not be
    recognised as a valid drive in ME (which relies on FAT32 - I think).

    Cheers

    L;ozT ..............completely!

    L;ozT, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Bradley26

    Thor Guest

    "L;ozT" <> wrote in message
    > ....or another possibility is that the BIOS on some older PC's often
    > cannot
    > handle newer, larger drives, though the smallest limit I had so far come
    > across was 20Gb. If, and I mean IF, this is the problem, one solution
    > would
    > be to split the disk into a number of 2 Gb partitions, a second would be
    > 'flash' your BIOS with a BIOS upgrade from the manufacturer.

    To my recollection, BIOSes haven't had a 2GB limit since the early
    Win95-era, and he couldn't be running XP on a system old enough to have such
    a limitation.

    > PS, ........re: Thor's comments, if the drive is formatted NTFS,
    > forgetting
    > for a moment the size issue, this will be fine in XP, but will not be
    > recognised as a valid drive in ME (which relies on FAT32 - I think).

    Yes, good point. Furthermore, using XP's disk management tools will limit a
    FAT32 partition size to 32GB.

    Thor, Sep 22, 2004