    probably be accepted for a computer course soon. I have been looking at
    backup options and would like to save the work and the computer to somehow
    rather than reinstall all manually if reinstalling becomes necessary.

    umwhat, Jun 19, 2008

  2. umwhat

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    You can take a snapshot of the drive(s) using something like Acronis True
    Image from:
    http://www.acronis.com/

    I do that. I have one image which is the bare, activated OS, a second with
    s/w installed and activated and a third which I update every month or so.
    It takes less than 10 minutes to reinstate the image.

    I don't keep any data on my 'C' drive so the image is just the OS for me.
    If you keep data on the OS drive then you can get Acronis to regularly
    update the image but I don't use it like that.

    Jeff Gaines, Jun 19, 2008

  3. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    If I dual boot XP Home and XP 64Bit Pro will I be able to backup the XP
    Home installation from the XP 64Bit Professional partition?

    umwhat, Jun 19, 2008
  4. umwhat

    Michael Guest

    If you have a back-up utility that runs on 64-bit Windows, you can do that.

    Michael, Jun 19, 2008
  5. A solution like Acronis True Image lets you image whatever combination of
    volumes you want. Acronis provides a trial period so download it and try
    it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 19, 2008
  6. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    Thankyou Geoff, and Michael.

    I have the option to install another harddrive for 64Bit Pro.
    The best option for backing up seems to be using the Pro Backup Utility
    from XP 64Bit Pro from its own harddrive, but I could use the Nero BackItup
    v1.2.0.65 but that seems too old version to be considering.
    I also have Farstones Virtual Drive Professional which can write images
    and I am sure it could write images of anything I want it to.
    Is the XP Pro still the better backup option?. I can save any backup images
    to another networked computer.

    umwhat, Jun 19, 2008
  7. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    ...it is nice to get replies so quickly..

    I have the Seagate Acronis formatting utility that I downloaded from
    Seagate and using it to zero...a harddrive which takes 9 hours for a 2 pass
    "thorough clean"...thrills me to the ends of the earth...buying something
    like that is something I prefer to leave in my wildest dreams...basically
    because I am an Invalid Benficiary receiving my core income from the
    government.

    What I am trying to achieve is when I am doing my New Zealand Certificate
    in Computing Level 2(and maybe also in, Business) course for which I will use
    Microsoft Office 2003 Professional in Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), I want
    to backup so my chances of losing any work are reduced. And now thinking
    about that, I would like to use the incremental backup as well.

    umwhat, Jun 19, 2008
  8. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    I just realized I should go into the Office community and ask about the
    backing up options for Office 2003. Thankyou.

    umwhat, Jun 19, 2008
  9. Download the trial of Acronis True Image and try it out. The trial is fully
    functional and free, just time limited. I personally use it and recommend
    it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2008
  10. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    I would like to try Acronis Charlie but it is only a Trial and I want
    something for backups after this computing course as well so something
    trusted like Acronis is what I would like. But buying it is not an option at
    the moment...I can wait.
    Maybe there is something basic I can do to backup any work I do.
    I could install 64Bit Professional on a second harddrive hoping I can
    backup Office 2003 which will be in XP Home.
    I do not have a reason other than backup, for loading XP 64Bit Edition.
    I may try the incremental backup in 64Bit Professional to backup the work
    I do and I can experiment with 3 or 4 free versions of various backup
    applications.
    I subscribed to giveawayoftheday website, thats its name, and downloaded a
    free backup that was "hailed" worthy of use by members of a local computer
    community form members which I frequent. Quite a few people there seemed to
    like it...Macrium Reflect.

    When th etime comes I may buy Acronis, going by its reputation.

    umwhat, Jun 21, 2008
  11. Dominic Payer, Jun 21, 2008
  12. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    * Automated System Recovery is not a supported feature in Windows XP
    Home Edition using Backup * ...quoted.

    Will 64Bit Professional XP allow me to backup what is in the Windows XP
    Home Edition harddrive when 64Bit Professional XP is installed on a second
    harddrive?

    umwhat, Jun 21, 2008
  13. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    ...I see I am now asking about this in the other thread I started...XP 64Bit
    installation USB devices.

    umwhat, Jun 21, 2008
  14. It will backup all your files from any partition on your hard disk(s). Yes.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 21, 2008
  15. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    That is good news, thankyou a whole lot Charlie.

    ps..I see you know well about...what I don't...and I see your answers are
    easy to understand and when I am browsing I look for your name to
    learn...thanks a whole lot Charlie.

    umwhat, Jun 21, 2008
  16.
    [email protected], Jul 14, 2008
  17.
    [email protected], Jul 14, 2008
  18.
    [email protected], Jul 14, 2008
  19. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    What I have done, is because I did was download and use the free Hirens Boot
    CD which has Acronis True Image v8.1 and Acronis Disk Director which let me
    resize partitions.
    That is a great upgrade for me. The version of True Image is the free
    version Acronis gave away some years ago.

    yay yay yay !!!

    hi...
    bye...

    umwhat, Jul 15, 2008