    I just got a new computer...is there a way to easily back up my emails
    in TB (and preferences) as well as preferences for FB so when I install
    them on my new machine I will have my bookmarks and emails ready to go?

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Axl

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 12/13/03 10:21 PM, Axl typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    Since you didn't say which OS you have but for WinXP/2000 navigate to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\ (You may need to
    unhide hidden files and folders)

    For WinMe/98/95 navigate to:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\

    For Firebird you are looking for the 'phoenix' folder. For Thunderbird
    you want the 'thunderbird' folder. Copy those entire folders over to
    your back-up, then put them back where you found them in your new
    computer. It will be like you never left. All of Firebirds' bookmarks,
    prefs, etc will be there. All of Thunderbirds' accounts, emails etc.
    will be there.

    Good luck, Aron

    A Hess, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Axl

    Axl Guest

    I didnt see a phoenix foler...Im on 2000 and I didnt see either program
    files under application data...although I saved them to a different
    drive. It seems essentially what youre saying is to just copy the whole
    program over as it lies, so I'll try that.

    --- I mean I didnt find a phoenix folder in the FB directory.

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Sorry I found it...was looking under the wrong identity.

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Ok, I copied those files, put them in place...and nothing.

    Do I do this before installing each? I've already installed them...

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Axl

    Axl Guest

    I dont know what I'm doing wrong.

    I copied both of those folders from my application data folder, placed
    it in the same location on the new computer...and after that, when I
    boot thunderbird for example, it tells be the directory the default
    profile lies within cannot be found. When I make a new profile, none of
    my information is present.

    I was sure to overwrite the existing folders in the application data
    area. What am I doing wrong??

    Thanks.

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Axl

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 12/14/03 12:21 AM, Axl typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    Was it completely fresh? I mean if there was already a thunderbird
    folder, you need to delete the other first, then put the new one in.
    Overwriting only causes problems. Other than that, I'm not sure what to
    say... it SHOULD work. (I do it often, I tend to hose my profile at
    least once a week) Good luck, Aron

    A Hess, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Ok, I deleted those folders from my new application data folder and then
    copied over those old files...and I'm still getting the same 'folder
    containing default profile cannot be found'. Do I have to do this before
    either program is installed whatsoever? When Im doing this, FB and TB
    ARE installed in the directory I chose to install them to, I'm just
    deleting those folders in application data. Should I uninstall then
    before doing this?

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003
  9. Axl

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 12/14/03 10:50 AM, Axl typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    No, the programs can be installed at any time: before, after. No difference

    All I can think of is make sure the path is *identical* to the way is
    was before.

    You are going from Win2k to Win2k?

    From there, I really can't say. Anyone else have an idea? :(

    A Hess, Dec 14, 2003
  10. Aron, I've never done exactly this, but your plan ought to work. Axl,
    just make a fresh start. On the new machine, delete the entire
    Thunderbird Program Files\Thunderbird folder. Also delete the
    Application Data\Thunderbird folder.

    For Firebird, it depends on whether you used the installer or the sip
    builds. If the zip build, delete the Program Files\MozillaFirebird
    folder and the Application Data\Phoenix folder. If the installer, use
    Add/Remove Programs to unistall FB, and manually delete the Application
    Data/Phoenix folder

    Copy the entire profile folder from the old machine, not just the
    subfolder for the individual profile. For FB its Application
    Data\Phoenix, for TB its Application Data\Thunderbird.

    I assume this new machin is XP. Place the copied folders in the default
    location for the new installs. The both go in C:\Documents and
    Settings\(username)\Application Data. Place the Thinderbird and Phoenix
    folders there. Install Thunderbird and Firebird. They should pick up
    this profile information and use it.

    Aron, I know I'm just rewording your directions, but lets see if it
    works this time.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 14, 2003
  11. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Both machines are win 2000...the only thing I can think of is that the 2
    instances are in different locations...like...on the old machine it's on
    D:\program files\firebird

    and on the new, d:\programs\firebird

    on my old computer, D: was my windows drive w/ programs....on this new
    old, C is my windows drive and I made D: be my programs folder...is this
    what would be causing the problem?

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003

  12. It could. Try installing to the C:\Program Files location, and see if
    the program finds the profiles.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 14, 2003
  13. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Just did that....still nothing. As all the other times, it tells me it
    cant find the folder that the default profile is stored in. There's no
    export option or anything? This seems like quite a pain!

    Axl, Dec 14, 2003
  14. Okay, delete everything again, program and profile files on the new machine.

    Reinstall FB and TB. Do they open at all?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2003
  15. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Yes, the programs will open....but just not with a profile...so I always
    have to create one.

    Axl, Dec 15, 2003
  16. Fallback then is to migrate your settings to the new profile you have
    created.

    In the profile folder in Application Data, there should be an
    xxxxxxxx.slt folder. The x's are a random string of numbers and letters.
    Rename the old slt folder to the new random string. Paste it into the
    profile folder, overwriting what is there. That should bing your
    information into the program.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2003
  17. Axl

    Axl Guest

    OK I may try that but let me ask you this...

    I've gone ahead and setup my email accounts and whatnot on the new pc,
    new thunderbird. Is there a simple way just to import my contacts in my
    address book, not worrying about emails in the folders, etc?

    At this point I'm mainly concerned with the contacts. Or is this method
    u explained IT?

    Axl, Dec 15, 2003
  18. abook.mab is your personal address book. history.mab is collected
    addresses. Copy these files from the old folders to the new ones.

    Mail can be transferred pretty easily as well. Copy the Inbox file, (no
    extension) to the new profile. All your mail should appear. You will
    need to do this for all accounts, and any other folder that may contain
    mail you might want to save.

    You can also copy bookmarks and passwords over from your FB installation.

    Lee

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2003
  19. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Well hell if that's all I have to do, what was the point in doing all
    that application data stuff I was doing before? lol

    I do have another question tho maybe you can answer...since I've
    installed the newest version of thunderbird, everytime I boot it up, it
    tells me one of my accounts has 2 new messages...and these are 2
    messages that are in the junk folder, as no other mail is on this
    account...why would it alert me to 2 messages that are marked read in a
    junk mail folder???

    Axl, Dec 15, 2003
  20. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Ah nevermind, I see what was happening....It told me I had new mail but
    didnt show a (2) next to inbox...so I assumed it was those...but once I
    clicked on inbox, they appeared. Is this a glitch in this latest
    version? Before when email downloaded the # of mail in each folder was
    shown..now it doesnt do it unless I manually click on that folder first.

    Axl, Dec 15, 2003