    I want to use it for backing up. I have WIN XP SP2 on a HP/Compaq desktop. My single internal HD is 40 GB and is about half full.

    My question is how best to use these partitions to back up what I have on the internal HD.

    Any ideas?

    jazzyjoe, Sep 14, 2006

  2. jazzyjoe

    Aspired

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    In disk managment you can set it up to mirror your internal HD in XP pro.

    Or you can do disk spanning if you prefer instead

    But for some of these you will have to leave the external hooked up all the time.

    Or you can use the Backup utility in start/allprograms/accessories/System tools in XP pro to setup timed backups to you external HD

    I use a 2003 server with serveral drives mapped to different letters and use one for music, another for movies, and so on. You could also do something like that to help free up you internal HD.

    Then you could compress the partitions you wanted to save more space on.

    Aspired, Sep 15, 2006

  3. jazzyjoe

    jazzyjoe

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Aspired,
    Do you know how I can boot up from an external HD?

    jazzyjoe, Sep 16, 2006