    It's available here in the Netherlands but I don't know about the UK
    yet. Info here..

    http://www.callvoip.nl/docs/fritz/fbf_7140_datasheet.pdf

    Stu, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Stu

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I believe that Sipgate will be selling the 7140 soon, but personally I'm
    waiting for the 7170. Just out in Germany so hopefully here soon.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 4, 2006

  3. I just switched today my 7050 for the 7170 (german version)
    only noticeable difference: the USB Port is not just to connect 1 PC, but it
    is a system Port:
    * you can add up to 4 harddrives (or memory sticks)
    * 1 USB Printer (of course via a USB hub if more devices)
    * the Drives can be read/write from the local network, but also from the
    Internet (via ftp + password protected)

    Other minor changes:
    * 4 LAN Ports in stead of 2 (not really usefull, you can use a switch if
    you need more Ports)
    * to save space, they now combined ADSL + ISDN + PSTN in 1 RJ45
    conncetor, with very unusual wiring
    ADSL: pin 4+5 (this is the only normal pin configuration: ADSL on
    the 2 middle pins)
    ISDN: pin 1-2-7-8 (not the usual ISDN pin configuration)
    analogue: pin 3+6 (this could fit a RJ11, with first and last pin
    connected in setad of the 2 middle)
    * WLAN on/off switch

    I preferred the old model, with separated ADSL and ISDN connectors (don't
    need the 4 LAN ports)
    The real difference between 7050 and 7170 is the USB port for sharing
    network drives and printers

    Philippe Deleye, Nov 4, 2006
  4. Stu

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Philippe Deleye" <>
    wrote in message
    Hi Phillipe,

    Thanks for the info. The 4 LAN ports is important to me, I need the space
    currently taken up by the switch I'm using, it's also one less power
    supply..! I don't have ISDN so the combined port isn't a problem. I
    already have 2 300GB NAS drives which have USB ports on, so I don't need
    the USB port on the Fritz!Box, but it's a nice touch.

    The 7140 doesn't have three VoIP phone ports, which is what I need,
    coupled with the 4 LAN ports this is why I want the 7170.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Stu

    Stu Guest

    I just switched today my 7050 for the 7170 (german version)
    Curious if these boxes are IPV6 upgradeable.

    Can the 7170 be used as a router/ATA without the ADSL modem part? I may
    switch to a cable modem in the future. According to
    http://www.callvoip.nl/fritz.php they are modular. Just wanted confirmation.

    I hope the 7170 (7140) works with any wireless card, not just the
    FRITZ!WLAN USB-stick adapter?

    Here in NL they sell the international version of the 7140 so I guess
    any voice instructions are in English. Can't imagine they'd do one for
    the Dutch market.

    Stu

    Stu, Nov 4, 2006
  6. Stu

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Yes. All the Fritz!Box range can.
    I would assume so, it behaves as a wireless access point like any other,
    except that it comes with security switched on by default, unlike most
    other products.
    What do you mean by "international" version..? AFAIK they are sold in two
    versions, Annex A for POTS lines and Annex B for ISDN as in Germany. In my
    original non-wireless Fritz!Box Fon, the international options are simply
    a drop down list to select your country, those available are: Netherlands,
    France, Spain, Hungary, Latvia, Austria, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany,
    Argentina and "any other country" - whether this selects language or
    simply telephone system standards I don't know, as I've never tried..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 4, 2006
  7. Stu

    Stu Guest

    What do you mean by "international" version..? AFAIK they are sold in two
    International probably means not the Deutsch only version :)

    Does the set-up allow you to handle different caller ID systems too?

    Stu

    Stu, Nov 6, 2006
  8. Stu

    Ivor Jones Guest

    As far as I'm aware, with the 7170 model, there isn't a version other than
    the Annex B German version at the moment, as the device has only been on
    the market there a matter of days. I'm hoping a UK-compatible one comes
    out soon..!
    I don't think there is a specific setting, but there's a setting to set
    your country, presumably this is taken care of there.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 7, 2006