    I am going to record my home video's (VHS) to DVD's. Which format is better
    AVI or MPEG? What are the pro's and con's of each? I will be using Pinnacle
    Studio 8 for capturing and editing

    T. Scott Lad, Jul 2, 2004

  2. T. Scott Lad

    Biz Guest

    Better do some reading here: www.dvdrhelp.com

    DVD spec only allows for MPEG 1/2 at the moment, so AVI isnt going to cut it
    if you hope to play your homemade dvds on a regular dvd player.

    Biz, Jul 2, 2004

  3. T. Scott Lad

    Mike Kohary Guest

    You'll capture them as AVIs, and edit them in that format. When they're
    rendered to DVD, they'll automatically be turned into MPEG, which is the
    standard DVD file format. There's some compression, but Studio lets you
    control how much. Generally, an hour of video will fit nicely onto a single
    DVD and look very good.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 2, 2004
  4. T. Scott Lad

    Impmon Guest

    AVI compresses into smaller file than MPEG nut with most codec, the
    video quality suffers some. Also if you're sharing the video, other
    users will need to download and install the codec on their PCs to view
    the video and the codec may not be available on Macintosh or Linux.
    Also very few DVD player can play AVI (only DivX) and they aren't
    exactly cheap.

    MPEG generally have better video quality and you don't need to install
    any codec to view them. (You will need codec for MPEG2 though) With
    a little work, MPEG can also be viewed on DVD players as well.

    Impmon, Jul 2, 2004