    K-Lite or similar to handle all the emerging formats and updates. So far I
    have never experienced a "can't play this file" I'm running XP with SP2 and
    all updates. My preferred media player is VLC

    Stuart, Mar 12, 2007

  2. aniramca

    Tony Morgan Guest

    I occasionally (perhaps a little more than occasionally) didn't get any
    audio with Xvid and DivX AVIs. I then set up Win to fire up Cyberlink
    Power DVD for Xvid/DivX AVIs (I've always used Power DVD for DVDs). I've
    had no trouble since. Power DVD also seems to produce much better
    frame-grab stills from AVIs.

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007

  3. aniramca

    Mark Guest

    Mark, Mar 12, 2007
  4. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    Does it? On the occasions I need to convert something, its usually to
    edit it, so Virtualdub gets me the format I need. The On2 product is
    good for encoding to flash video. Sorenson Squeeze is decent. Plus it
    can handle a number of formats and transcode to other.

    All in all, converting is a pain in butt.

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  5. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    Your 'out of the box' windows won't play those. Send that birthday party
    video file to gramps and you will get the 'it won't play' call.

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  6. aniramca

    Ken Maltby Guest

    You are aware that VLC doesn't use those codec you download, it
    has its own.

    I prefer Media Player Classic.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 12, 2007
  7. aniramca

    Stuart Guest

    Yer but I believe in having high levels of redundancy - so WMP and MPC use
    the K-Lite codecs. So basically I have VLC, WMP, MPC and for DVD's I use
    NeroShowtime - I'm a media player junkie!!

    Stuart, Mar 12, 2007
  8. aniramca

    aniramca Guest

    Stuart - Thanks
    I downloaded the K lite codec pack and run it in my computer. After
    that, I can play the video and sound in the Window Media Player of my
    WinME. But, after a few runs, then it does not work any longer....
    the screen turns grey and nothing. The sound continues and OK though.
    I reinstall the K lite, but still does not work. Now, I don't know
    what to do. I think I will uninstall first and try installing again.
    This is such a mess... that is the reason I don't like downloading
    stuff, if I do not understand what happens. It ends up messing up my
    computer and slowing it down.
    I still don't have the answer to my question.... is .mpg a general
    format acceptable to most PC computers? Then how do I convert from avi
    to MPG file?
    Thanks for your info anyway
    PS
    I did not know that this topic is such a heated one! Perhaps due to
    many variety of formats in video? The music and photo appears to be
    much simpler.... mp3 or jpg. Most computer can use it. In the past,
    it was midi and I still don't know why it is abandoned (except for
    difficulties in getting human sound). It is still the best for
    instrumental music and the file is so tiny!.

    aniramca, Mar 13, 2007
  9. aniramca

    aniramca Guest

    Thanks for your info. I downloaded Gspot. It says that I need a divX
    codec. I get a K lite codec pack and it worked for a while, then it
    stops working (see my other posting to Stuart)
    Thanks anyway. I don't know what to do, as my analysis now said that I
    have the divX installed. But it does not work anymore...... Perhaps my
    crappy Windows ME ! The easiest way is to blame it on my computer
    when I am upset!

    aniramca, Mar 13, 2007
  10. If you need the DivX codec, get the DivX codec from (guess where?)
    http://www.divx.com/

    The free version is fine. You don't need to install the player, just
    the codec.

    Laurence Payne, Mar 13, 2007
  11. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    The Klite pack is not intended to just work temporarily. And, actually,
    what you have really just done is install a whole bunch of additional
    stuff in addition what the (likely) Xvid codec you needed.

    Why not just quit bashing your head against windows media player and
    just put in the videolan player? (www.videolan.org) Its free, it has not
    spyware, and it has its codecs self contained to play a variety of
    formats. Almost certain it will play your particular file without
    difficulty.

    Ray S, Mar 13, 2007
  12. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    Most people experience few problems with the batch o codecs on their
    system. Now and again, when the wind blows the right away and the dog
    howls at the moon at the right time, people end up with hair pulling
    type conflicts.

    Usually when people post to this forum about not being able to play a
    file, it can be guessed that they downloaded an episode of something,
    double clicked it and ended up with Windows Media Player not playing it
    right. My feeling is that the first course of advice, absent any
    knowledge of the posters level of skill, or desire to further edit the
    file, is to give them the least intrusive solution. As Videolan has its
    own codecs and can install and uninstall with few concerns over
    conflicts, I generally suggest this first.

    Ray S, Mar 13, 2007
  13. aniramca

    Nick Austin Guest

    You already have the answer to this question. MPEG 1 is
    has been playable since Windows 3.0 if you keep the video
    bitrate low enough. MPEG 1 does not need a CODEC.

    Nick.

    Nick Austin, Mar 21, 2007
  14. Every file (except maybe plain text files) requires special
    software to code and decode (called a "codec"). Some
    codecs are built into the application software (like Microsoft
    Word, etc.) but for audio and video files, they are usually
    separate DLLs so that all application software can share
    use of them.

    Saying that MPEG anything "does not need a codec" makes
    no sense to me. Perhaps Mr. Austin means that the codec is
    likely already installed.

    Richard Crowley, Mar 21, 2007