    Tony Morgan Guest

    Piss off troll.

    You're only here to carp and start arguments.

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007

  2. aniramca

    Tony Morgan Guest

    Piss off troll - you're only here to carp and start arguments.
    That you'll never be.

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007

  3. aniramca

    Tony Morgan Guest

    Trolling yet again?

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007
  4. aniramca

    Trev Guest

    He can not its what the creator picks.
    6 years back any downloaded clips would be mpeg1 QuickTime or realplayer.
    now DIVX can make files smaller then mpeg 1 with near mpeg 2 quality. It's a
    mater of keeping up with the times.

    I have some times mad a short clip to demonstrate a graphic technique and
    used WMV as the format because the recipient will be most likely to have WMP
    at least.

    Trev, Mar 12, 2007
  5. So contribute. What codec do you recommend?

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Liar. I've put you right on audio matters a few times, if nothing
    else.

    Laurence Payne, Mar 12, 2007
  7. aniramca

    G Hardy Guest

    Just not a very good one. :eek:)

    I think the reason everybody has been avoiding the issue is because no
    single codec is both "good" and comes close to "universally acceptable". The
    content of the video itself can sometimes dictate the best codec to use for
    a particular project. At least one of the newsgroups in the crosspost list
    contains a few denizens who jump hard on anything thought to be "poor
    advice", so if the question is not actually answered to avoid the likely
    resulting conflict.

    G Hardy, Mar 12, 2007
  8. aniramca

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <MacJh.56910$>, G Hardy
    So well illustrated by the eight posts here in this very thread made by
    our resident troll Laurence Payne, who only seeks to stir up arguments.

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007
  9. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    www.videolan.org

    Their free Videolan player will play most any flavor of avi file.

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  10. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    You are insisting on a 'This is the Best', answer to a question that
    cannot have a 'this is the best' answer.

    One must deal with the reality of the world rather than rail at how it
    does not fit ones option of conformity.

    In the Bittorret world, it appears that the Xvid codec rules
    It would be a rare windows box that would not play a Wmv file
    It would be a rate Mac box that would not play a Mov file

    But then, people start getting concerned about size and quality. So they
    start encoding into some of newer codecs H264 and such. Eventually, its
    like complaining that your old turntable won't play cassette tapes and
    CD's.

    You can divorce your thinking for the requirement that unless it plays
    in Windows Media Player, its just not standard enough. There are some
    small, and free for distribution apps like Media Player Classic and
    VideoLan that will fit onto most any disk you stick a video file on.

    That said, its usually possible to install components so that Windows
    Media Player WILL handle most all of those formats, but that sort of
    invalidates the user friendly doctrine you were originally aiming at
    because it requires the user to lift one or more fingers to prepare the
    system. Far easier it to just stick a small player on the disk with the
    instruction - 'if file not viewable on your computer, install this
    application, and then enjoy the video.'

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  11. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    If you insist.....He uses the oldest, most common codec. Once that does
    not require any license and is part of any windows default install.
    Include a Mov file as well for Mac users and then just tell those Linux
    people to piss off. :)

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  12. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    Certainly..You type "Convert video to flash" into Google and then do
    your own research.

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  13. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    Agreed, so long as you are presenting it on the internet. But flash can
    be a pain in the arse if you hand someone a disk with a file on it.

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  14. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    True, but the pestering poster was demanding a smack on the snout with a
    rolled up newpaper by stamping his feet and demanding a one solution
    answer. So SOMEONE had to say Cinepak. :)

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  15. aniramca

    G Hardy Guest

    I think he was just trying to make a point - although he should probably be
    a bit embarrassed at asking the question so often when I'd answered it nine
    hours earlier... ;o)

    G Hardy, Mar 12, 2007
  16. aniramca

    G Hardy Guest

    I wish I'd though of that analogy - but I can refine it a bit. It's like
    complaining that your 6-year-old CD player can't play CDRs burned with WMAs
    or MP3s; when my new car radio can.

    Same "container", different format.

    G Hardy, Mar 12, 2007
  17. aniramca

    Ray S Guest

    Lucky for them we just went to daylight savings time or else it would
    have been 10 hours!

    Ray S, Mar 12, 2007
  18. aniramca

    M.L. Guest

    My questions are:

    An mpeg1 will be the compatibility champ for most computers.
    The free version of TMPGenc can convert an avi file to mpeg1.

    M.L., Mar 12, 2007
  19. aniramca

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <jJdJh.11551$>, Ray S
    LOL.... I hope you're wearing your tin hat :)

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007
  20. aniramca

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <fLdJh.11552$>, Ray S
    I've spent what seems like a lifetime trying one converter or another to
    go from "this" to "that". I'd accumulated more converters than you can
    throw a stick at - until I discovered AVS Video Converter. Previously,
    something always seemed wrong at the end of a long conversion. It isn't
    free but AVS seems to do a good job converting between the various video
    format (including SWF Flash files). It costs a little money but I
    consider it worth every penny. It also burns CDs/DVDs, and further if
    the quality of the source warrant it when converting to DVD, it suggests
    that you allow it to burn to two DVDs to retain the quality.

    Tony Morgan, Mar 12, 2007