AVG not detecting viruses

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ron Martell, May 7, 2004.

  1. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
    purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
    which there are a number of variants.

    This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
    copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
    that AVG reports as not being infected.

    Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
    Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
    detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.

    The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
    infected files.

    Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
    Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
    with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 7, 2004

  2. Thanks Ron....

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 7, 2004

  3. Ron Martell

    Boomer Guest

    Thank you, Ron.

    Boomer, May 7, 2004
  4. Ron Martell

    Agnes L. Guest

    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm running both Avg & Avast...
    Aggie

    Agnes L., May 7, 2004
  5. Ron Martell

    °Mike° Guest

    This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
    for a long time.

    As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
    about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

    °Mike°, May 7, 2004
  6. Ron Martell

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, Agnes L. emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    No point, all you'll do is screw them both.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, May 7, 2004
  7. I have a small computer business, and I've been using AVG on both my own
    machines and my customers' machines for a couple of years (along with,
    at times, other antivirus products, mostly for comparison purposes). I
    have had absolutely no problems with it, and it has worked extremely
    well. I have never had a case where AVG missed something that a
    different antivirus program caught. Further, in my experience, AVG is
    more stable than most, and also uses fewer system resources. I can't
    recommend it highly enough.

    I have no connection to AVG -- just a grateful user.

    Jacques Clouseau, May 7, 2004
  8. Ron Martell

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

    | This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
    | for a long time.
    |
    | As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
    | about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

    Pretty good response time, though. Update this morning, and they appear
    to have added detection. Looks like they chose the alias Agobot (like
    Kaspersky):

    http://www.grisoft.cz/virbase/virba...obot&qaliases=1&action=search&lng=us&type=web

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2azsj

    mhicaoidh, May 7, 2004
  9. Ron Martell

    °Mike° Guest

    You obviously don't have a very wide virus database to
    test the thing on. Also, I never mentioned anything about
    it not being stable, and it certainly does NOT use less
    system resources than eZ Antivirus.

    You should make sure that your security is rock solid,
    if you are relying totally on AVG, sorry.

    °Mike°, May 7, 2004
  10. Ron Martell

    °Mike° Guest

    It's a CRAP response time -- it's already too damn late!
    Agobot/Agaobot have been around for a long time.

    I don't have AVG installed at the moment, but I'll bet
    that it doesn't detect all of the SDBot variants, either.
    It didn't while I was testing it; hell, even eZ doesn't!

    °Mike°, May 7, 2004
  11. Ron Martell

    Scraggy Guest

    My ten penn'orth;
    IMHO, all AV's & comparisons thereof, are, to a greater or lesser extent,
    like the UK MOT(This is the Annual Government Car(Auto) Inspection, for
    those who "nichts verstehen") they only prove that, at that particlular
    moment in time, something is or is not working/detecting. Therefore it is a
    matter of choice as to which, or indeed, if any AV is used. Not all things
    are the same to all people, so to each his own. FWIW I have used AVG for
    several years with no problem at all, but then I don't have an
    uncontrollable right index finger(appologies to the left handers amongst us)

    Sermon over.

    Peace be among you........or you can sod off!

    Scraggy, May 7, 2004
  12. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    The latest update to AVG (released today) is now detecting this virus.
    It reports it as Worm/Agobot.(variant).

    For AVG6 Free this is with Program Version 6.0.649 and virus database
    441.

    For AVG7 Pro the virus database version is 262.9.17

    Ron Martell, May 7, 2004
  13. Ron Martell

    Stickems Guest

    Correction:- For AVG6 Free this is with Program Version 6.0.679 and virus
    database 441.

    Stickems, May 7, 2004
  14. Ron Martell

    Ghostrider Guest

    I am showing Program Version 6.0.679 and virus database 441.

    Ghostrider, May 7, 2004
  15. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    Thanks for catching the typo.

    Ron Martell, May 7, 2004
  16. Ron Martell

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

    | It's a CRAP response time -- it's already too damn late!
    | Agobot/Agaobot have been around for a long time.

    It was good enough for me. Of course, the last virus that made it to my
    computer was when I was running a C= 64 ... it was on a 5.25" floppy. ;-)

    | I don't have AVG installed at the moment, but I'll bet
    | that it doesn't detect all of the SDBot variants, either.
    | It didn't while I was testing it; hell, even eZ doesn't!

    We certainly two wrongs don't make a right, but that's the flaw of
    signature based AV ... if you don't have the signature, you don't detect it.
    I'm sorry, but I don't share your outrage. I view AV and firewalls as a
    backup, not a front line defense.

    mhicaoidh, May 7, 2004
  17. Ron Martell

    John Guest

    I have 6.0.679 ver.441,It keeps picking up netsky q,not caught sasser
    yet,fgrs xsd,but it cannot move it to the vault,so i manually delete it then
    run another scan and shows ok ,and i also run trend micros housecall.which
    says i`m clean,
    john

    John, May 8, 2004
  18. Ron Martell

    John Guest

    Mine keeps finding netsky q but can`t move it into vault,so I manually
    delete it and run the checker everytime i also have ver 6-0.679vers.441

    john

    John, May 8, 2004
  19. Ron Martell

    JIM Guest

    So if AVG is so pants then °Mikey° < Explain this
    Why does Avg (free) ver -running alongside Norton 2004
    detect the majority of viruses on my pc before norton even
    gets chance to have a sniff.

    Ps - Mikey also goes by the name of boomer or should it be bummer.

    JIM, May 8, 2004
  20. Ron Martell

    Plato Guest

    Please explain in detail why you have chosen to install so many virures
    on your PC?

    Plato, May 8, 2004