    AVG is supposed to be doing with these viruses. Or does AVG notify me that
    it is a virus only when I click on the EXE file. What really is AVG
    supposed to be doing??? Thanks for the help.

    Jumbo, Sep 22, 2003

  2. No, an AV program does NOT stop the emails being downloaded. That is a
    server function which your ISP may or may not have.
    Your AV program is there to protect you from opening any infected email.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
    I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.

    Jumbo, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Jumbo

    jean simkin Guest

    jean simkin, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Jumbo

    Miggsee Guest

    Miggsee, Sep 22, 2003
  6. Jumbo

    voodoo Guest

    If you want to test your AV, don't click on the file or execute it.
    Just try saving it. I bet that if you do that your AV will catch it at
    that point. Saving it is safe as long as you don't open the file.
    Depending on how your AV works or how you have it configured, it might
    either delete or quarantine the file when you try to save it, or it
    might simply warn you that it's a virus or a worm. If necessary, you
    can delete the file after you save it.

    voodoo, Sep 22, 2003
  7. Jumbo

    Ionizer Guest

    I wouldn't risk it. If you want to reassure yourself that AVG can identify
    the virus, it would be safer to save the attachment to your hard drive and
    manually scan the file. To be honest, I wouldn't even do that.

    Avoiding viruses involves two things: a good antivirus program and an
    educated user- in this case you, the educated user, have already identified
    and avoided the infection. Just leave it at that.

    If you want to test your AVG program, do it with this safe test file
    instead: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 22, 2003
  8. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    Well, I did try both things a few days ago when the virus appeared. I saved
    the EXE file to a floppy and then scanned the attachment with AVG and no
    viruses were found.

    Jumbo, Sep 22, 2003
  9. Jumbo

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Never ever click on any attachment. Always save *any* attachment to disk
    and scan it with your virus scanner. Make sure your scanner has up to date
    definitions.

    Petit Alexi, Sep 22, 2003
  10. Jumbo

    Ionizer Guest

    Good thing you didn't double-click on it "just to see," eh? But you do say
    that you did this "a few days ago." According to the AVG site, they just
    added Swen to their definition files on September 18:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php Did you update since then?

    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 22, 2003
  11. Jumbo

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Petit Alexi, Sep 22, 2003
  12. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    I'll try that now and see what happens.

    Jumbo, Sep 22, 2003
  13. Jumbo

    Jumbo Guest

    AVG caught the virus in these EICAR files. Not sure what it's supposed to
    do with the TXT extension file because nothing happened when I clicked on
    it.

    Jumbo, Sep 22, 2003
  14. Jumbo

    Miggsee Guest

    Amen!!

    :) Sorry for the piggy-back, but I wanted to add to your statement for new
    users' knowledge. :)

    Even if you know the sender, some virii/worms steal addresses, and then
    procede! If in doubt, email the sender and ask if they sent the file.

    Miggsee, Sep 22, 2003