AVG 7.5 support now ceased

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nighthawk, May 8, 2009.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, May 8, 2009

  2. Nighthawk

    news2.thing Guest

    I have to ask why you are still on 98....that's a bit crazy IMHO.

    I run avast, no issues...

    regards

    thing

    news2.thing, May 8, 2009

  3. Nighthawk

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have a Pentium II 'Dixon' (brilliant CPU for it's time, 256k full speed
    on-die cache before Coppermine came out) 400MHz laptop with 128MB RAM that's
    using 98SE. It's hardly fast enough for anything else MS.

    Mind you, I don't use AV on it. It's behind my hardware firewall, I use
    Firefox, no email on it and surely not much malware is targetted at 9x these
    days?

    It'd be a shame to retire it, it'll run on battery long enough to watch a
    movie just fine and is quite responsive. I'd like to max the RAM but I can't
    find 2 x 128MB SDRAM SODIMMs at a price that can be justified for an old
    machine. It's currently 2 x 64MB, the manual says it'll take 2 x 128. (Dell
    Latitude CPi-A.)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 8, 2009
  4. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    If something works for me and does everything I want it to do I see no
    reason to change. I can dual-boot into XP but find my
    98Lite-installed Win98SE much faster on the same hardware (tweaked to
    use 1GB RAM). I have yet to have a compelling reason to convert to
    using XP as my default OS. Perhaps with new hardware in the future I
    would have to consider something newer but may likely install Linux
    for online use.

    I built a K6-2/550 based PC for a friend with the same kind of 98Lite
    installation and he finds it faster than his XP2500+ Barton WinXP
    setup, except where an application needs sheer number-crunching power.
    He works from home as a scientist and runs three PCs at once.

    Regarding malware for w98x I read on the Secunia site that W98SE is
    overall still more secure than an updated patched XP machine:

    W98SE
    http://secunia.com/advisories/product/13/
    Affected By 32 Secunia advisories
    21 Vulnerabilities
    Unpatched 9% (3 of 32 Secunia advisories)

    Most Critical Unpatched
    The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Windows
    98 Second Edition, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less
    critical (two squares)

    XP
    http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16/
    Affected By 216 Secunia advisories
    215 Vulnerabilities

    Unpatched 13% (27 of 216 Secunia advisories)

    Most Critical Unpatched
    The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Windows
    XP Home Edition, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Moderately
    critical (three squares).

    Nighthawk, May 8, 2009
  5. Nighthawk

    simonnz10 Guest

    Like you, a lot of people treat their computers as a tool. I have to
    agree that if it meets your requirements and on balance you accept any
    associated risks from the OS being "unsupported", why upgrade?

    simonnz10, May 8, 2009
  6. Nighthawk

    impossible Guest

    You clearly have simple requirements in terms of applications. Install Linux
    and be done with it.
    You're making a complete hash of that information. Do yourself a favor: lose
    Win 98 and install Linux.

    impossible, May 9, 2009