  1. Guest

    Neil Guest

    so they will fit in that car bra thing...

    Neil, May 5, 2004

  2. Guest

    Neil Guest

    stop revving my engine and honking my horn...

    Neil, May 5, 2004

  3. Guest

    Neil Guest

    personally I think "legitimate" and "Boot Camp" shouldn't be used in the
    same sentence. If there is a need for quick learning specific to a product
    to bring you up to speed so that you can use it, fine. It's when you add in
    the phrase "certification" implying that someone should be fully proficient
    in something, that I take offense. If you already know the product you
    should _NOT_ need to have a boot camp help you out. If you don't have the
    prior knowledge, you shouldn't "suddenly" (with in a couple of weeks) get
    it. My 2¢

    Neil, May 5, 2004
  4. personally I think "legitimate" and "Boot Camp" shouldn't be used in the
    Exactly

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 5, 2004
  5. Guest

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    that would make both of you, "old farts"..

    Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates, May 5, 2004
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    boy!...when I posted this simple inquiry I didn't expect it to turn into a "rambling gab-session".

    Thanks to the couple of guys that gave a legitimate response to the question (you know who you are ;) and I thank you)

    ....as for the rest of you rubber-heads...why don't you use a chat program if all you want to do is post useless remarks?

    - Spidey

    Guest, May 6, 2004
  7. Guest

    JaR Guest

    You are right. Everybody should just be silent, stare at their
    monitors, and wait with baited breath for your next simple inquiry. Then,
    immediately answer concisely and throughly, then go away so the NG is
    clear for the next incredibly important question.

    No, don't think so, but thanks for the input.

    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, May 6, 2004
  8. Guest

    zenner Guest

    Even though you disagree with the point, at least you read the message
    enough to understand my point...that shows you are thinking and not blindly
    following the popular mantra made famous by Joan Crawford "No wire hangers
    (boot camps) ever!" ...which, when accompanied by a beating, can be
    effective in drumming home "one" point of view as being the only correct
    point of view.

    I was very careful to limit the scope and situations which could be a
    legitimate reason. Still some take offence at the mere mention, of the idea.
    That is a sign of adherence to dogma, which is alien to independent thought,
    when you can not see exceptions to an arbitrary rule. No speeding. Yet we
    allow emergency vehicle to exceed speed limits. Killing is against the law,
    yet we enlist law abiding pre-citizens to make war for the good of our
    society...on and on. Yet, you stand fast on the point that there is no
    reason for boot camps, ever?

    An illustration may be in order...If I am a professional in another country,
    lets say a doctor or lawyer or Pilot. My father could be Lindbergh, Jonas
    Salk or Clarence Darrow, I could have done research, attend school worked as
    an intern for "umpteen" years. But until I am certified I have no proof (for
    what it is worth), that I can function. You must be certified. Since the
    MCSE, again for what it is worth, has been chosen as a benchmark. Most
    employers, hiring managers will request that certification, even if the
    person has performed the job successfully, survived countless trials by fire
    ....possibly the "go-to-guy" for the site, but if he doesn't have the cert.
    many companies have and still do use that as justification to deny
    promotions or place the individual on the short list for down sizing.

    ..Say it ain't so?

    I realize, as mentioned in the first reply, that in the majority of cases
    attendees are ignoring the experience requirements or have been influenced
    to think they are not important. This has flood ed the market with a
    significant number of disgruntled and inexperienced "certified" workers, I
    feel sorry for them. They have been mislead and usually at a profit for the
    school. But, there are good reasons.

    I do not want to prolong this discussion, seeing as many see it as
    blasphemy...however, your point of view is not the only one that is valid.
    Taking your point of view to the extreme, could mean each test should be a
    one shot deal. If you don't pass each test the first time, then you are not
    worthy of being an MCSE at all. Some people aren't good at taking tests,
    there are more than one type of intelligence, tutors are an old and accept
    way to help even good students approach a test with confidence..

    zenner, May 6, 2004
  9. Guest

    Neil Guest

    freakin kids...wait a minute. I think you're about my age Rowdy!
    ggggrrrrr.......

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  10. Guest

    Neil Guest

    ya want a legit answer? ask a question that is not pathetic. the answer
    to your original question is as long as it takes for you to learn the
    material and pass the tests. If you know the product inside out and
    upside down you should be able to pass all the tests in a week. I know a
    guy in Toronto who did the NT 4 exams (6 and admittedly not that hard) in
    a _DAY_!!! average? about this long

    <------------------------------------------------->

    grrrrrrrr....call me a rubber head. get back to your books...

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  11. Guest

    Neil Guest

    no sir, I don't like it...

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  12. Guest

    Neil Guest

    not blasphemy but only for the reason that I specified (quick shot at
    learning new tech) do I find it valuable
    My problem remains that since the cert is the requirement and the person
    already has the skills, why does the candidate require the boot camp.
    they should be able to pass the exams without it if they have the skills.
    I believe this is were your arguement falls apart...

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  13. Guest

    poco Guest

    From my own experience. I am one of the people who has the experience but
    not the certification to prove it. I was downsized in Nov of last year and
    tried to get another job just listing the experience.
    So far I've had several companies interested in my resume, but saying I was
    studying is a waste of breath. Starting to take the tests gives me some
    hope, though, that I might be able to make it past the first interview.
    The problem inherent in some of the arguments above, though, is that if you
    are paying for it yourself, the cost of either boot camp or standard classes
    is pretty much impossible to justify, especially to my wife. So far, to
    prepare for the full mcse track, I'm out $400 for practice tests, and have
    only been studying from the Syngress books, downloaded from newsgroups, and
    the cost of the tests.
    Even with experience, it is necessary to study. There's been a lot on the
    tests that I never saw in real life, but that I realize is necessary for the
    cert, and I don't expect to actually use on a job.
    I still think that, for someone who does have practical on the job
    experience, six minths or even less is an adequate time to take all the
    tests.

    poco, May 6, 2004
  14. Guest

    Consultant Guest

    whatever, peter

    Consultant, May 6, 2004
  15. Guest

    Neil Guest

    true, but with your experience you can bypass the Boot Camp becuase (a)
    you have a strong foundation on which you are building your skills (I
    assume) and (b) you know where to look for your answers. There will
    always be new things on the exam that Joe Average doesn't use daily and
    he will have to bone up on. the test objectives from the MS web site can
    give you a good idea on what those are.

    I am still opposed to Boot Camps for anything other than the a quick
    boost for new technology (not certification) or the military...

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  16. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    question (you know who you are ;) and I thank you)
    if all you want to do is post useless remarks?
    Hi, Peter Parker!

    Shut up.

    Ken Briscoe, May 6, 2004
  17. Dammit, you're not supposed to reveal his secret identity!

    Now give me back that Parker pen you borrowed.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 6, 2004
  18. Guest

    Brat Guest

    while I agree in theory, you are forgetting one thing... some (and I stress
    some) of these bootcamps issue braindumps as part of the course material...
    and therein lies a lot of distain for those who state to hate bootcamps...
    the select few that use cheating methods spoil it for the rest... then
    again, so do some colleges...

    Brat, May 6, 2004
  19. know a
    That's sick.

    I did my three NT core exams on the same day, I needed a beer after
    that I can tell you!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 6, 2004
  20. Guest

    Neil Guest

    I've always made it policy to never do more than one a day. (That way I
    can be useless at work after _each_ of the exams...)

    I have done multiple per week though. *shrug*

    Neil, May 6, 2004