AVAYA IP OFFICE - question

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham J, Oct 2, 2013.

  1. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    A customer has been sold an AVAYA IP OFFICE system for some new premises
    still under construction.

    I'm trying to understand how it works, but the BT salesman concerned
    knows nothing useful.

    There are several IP phones and something called "IPO (R8.1) 4 x 6 VOIP
    + LAN (BRI) Essential". I take it this is the device (PBX) that routes
    calls from one phone to another, and to/from the outside world which
    will be connected using ISDN2e.

    Presumably the IP phones connect via Ethernet cable to PBX - yes?

    Where do the IP phones get their IP addresses from? For example, does
    the PBX contain a DHCP server?

    If not, and I provide a separate DHCP server (perhaps in an internet
    router), can other devices share the same LAN subnet, or do I have to
    separate them either physically or by configuring a VLAN?

    Does the PBX integrate with the computers? For example is there a
    client I can run on a PC or Mac which will look up the details of an
    incoming call and pop them up on the screen?

    TIA

    Graham J, Oct 2, 2013

  2. Graham J

    ßodincus Guest

    LOL

    Forget most of the things, Avaya stuff is closed as much as it can be,
    and as far from SIP as you can imagine. It's "IP" because uses network
    connections, but the "IP" stops there.

    Good luck.

    ßodincus, Oct 2, 2013

  3. Graham J

    Graham. Guest

    What can a typical proprietary system like this do that Asterisk
    can't, other than make stacks of money for the dealer?

    Graham., Oct 2, 2013
  4. Graham J

    ßodincus Guest

    Nah, not that much.
    My company got offered dealership, and to be a reseller you need to take
    a (very expensive) course to get certified, and keep paying for other
    "refreshers".
    Margins are thin. Not worth the hassle if you know how to work with FOSS.
    Sure, if you're of the traditional passive installers dying breed you
    have no other chance to deceive your current customers into a new "VoIP"
    system.
    Except when we get asked to make a competitive offer by the end
    customer, and they're knocked off their exec chairs when they uncover
    the scam.
    Proprietary systems and hosted are the one and the same: pay for every
    breath of air you take, now and forever more.
    [email protected]@K 'em.

    ßodincus, Oct 3, 2013