    Neil Rowland Guest

    Is the main difference between Aux VLAN and a standard VLAN the ability to
    send CDP messages to an ip phone with its COS/VLAN ID.

    Neil Rowland, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Neil Rowland

    Phil Dotchon Guest

    The auxiliary Vlan is just another Vlan, CDP is (I believe) carried in Vlan
    1 on an 802.1q trunk. The point is that CDP is used to tell the phone which
    Vlan to use for voice traffic, this is the purpose of the Aux vlan- to keep
    voice and data traffic separate. QoS can still be used even without a
    separate voice Vlan, it's just neater and more secure to use a separate,
    auxiliary Vlan for voice.

    Cheers,

    Phil Dotchon, Apr 14, 2004