AutoQoS and multilink PPP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by alex, Aug 17, 2012.

  1. alex

    alex Guest

    I'm studying AutoQoS and I'm told that for links which speed is lower
    than 768 kbps AutoQoS may configure multilink PPP.

    No other expanation is given (as usual in many cases with CiscoPress
    books).

    My understanding is that this way packets are fragmented and when sent
    over the link there is less difference between long packets (FTP data
    for instance) and voice packets, which by nature are small.

    This way big data packets and voice packets are sent over the link
    in almost equal chunks and the latter are not delay too much when big
    packets are sent.

    Now is this fragmentation a feature of PPP or Multilink-PPP?

    I'd think multilink PPP and that's why even on a single link they
    configure it even though there are not multiple parallel links to
    benefit from.

    May anybody confirm my thoughts or tell if there is a different
    explanation?

    Thanks,

    Ale

    alex, Aug 17, 2012