    If anyone's had any experience with these, I would love to hear about
    it. Thanks for any and all advice!
    Lynn

    Lynn, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Manfrotto / Bogen (website) list equipment weights and support capacity
    masses for their tripods and ball-heads, so with luck they'll have the data
    you're looking for. (What I've never discovered is whether the support
    masses quoted refer to an easy vertical support, or at 90degrees where
    matters will be very different.)

    Malcolm Stewart, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Lynn

    Alan Browne Guest

    The masses presented are the amount the pod or head.

    Balance is not implied.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Lynn

    dadiOH Guest

    I always glued the vinyl to the wall. Floor too (with a cove) but that
    portion could remain rolled up until needed.

    You could also switch from white vinyl to white paper.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Sep 15, 2005
  5. Lynn

    Bandicoot Guest

    I don't know what your vinyl weighs, but I can say that the Autopoles that I
    use will take a lot more weight than all but my very chunkiest stands.
    These are the 'old' Autopoles, not the new version with the adjustable
    tension, which should take even more.

    Note that they _will_ mark pale ceilings unless you get the white pads
    that go over the standard 'feet', or else make some alternative: I use that
    white non-slip stuff that is sold for lining the drawers of mechanics' tool
    chests etc. I know some people who just put socks over the ends, but I feel
    my method is probably more secure.

    Also think about what your ceiling is made of. If it's simply plasterboard
    (sheetrock) or lath and plaster then you might not want to put a lot of
    tension on the poles! Maybe if you aren't sure about that you could line
    the poles up so they are pushing against a joist rather than the unsupported
    middle of a sheet of plasterboard.

    I have two of the Autopole bases too, and use them sometimes if working in a
    location with ceilings too high to use the poles normally: they have quite a
    wide leg spread and make for a pretty stable stand.

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Sep 15, 2005
  6. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    Thanks for that. I've decided to go with the autoples, then. My biggest
    problem was that the wall that I'm using for my backgrounds was wall to
    wall window (up to the ceiling) so there was nowhere to mount anything
    else to hold the poles. Glad to hear good things about the autoples.

    Lynn
    www.herrick-photo.co.uk

    Lynn, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Lynn

    Mike Guest

    Autopole system works great with roll paper or muslin backrounds (don't roll
    up the muslins!) but will collapse with heavier backrounds risking your gear
    and your clients. (Can you say, "Lawsuit?") Makes a very loud crash, BTW.

    Mike, Sep 26, 2005