    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Dave

    Guest, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Hi Dave,

    There are a couple of different ways you can configure the Wireless Zero
    Configuration client without using the UI. The first is by using the
    Wireless Network Setup Wizard with a flash drive. There is a Cable-Guy
    article describing how to use the wizard to do this here:

    There is also an API which can be used by developers to write a program
    to add network profiles to the Wireless Zero Configuration client. The API
    is part of the DDK and can accept Wireless Zero Configuration settings in
    the form of XML data. Here is a link to the API in MSDN:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._2dd6673a-95cf-4c91-a8b2-57c76adc5163.xml.asp

    Best of luck,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Mar 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Chris,

    I appreciate the response you gave me on my question. I was
    hoping I can just ask you a couple of more question here on the later. I
    knew about the wizard but it looked to me like it only did WPA and did not
    get into 802.1x with PEAP selecting certificates ect.

    I wanted to confirm before really diving into this that the API you’re
    talking about can be configured for PEAP authentication and will be able to
    select certificates if already on the machine. Here at the College we use
    PEAP with certificates. I just want to also confirm that you do not SSID to
    be broadcasting since we do cloak.

    This is exactly what I am looking for if it does advanced 802.1x
    authentication configurations.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Hi Dave,

    I am not as familiar with the Wireless Network Setup Wizard as I am with
    other aspects of wireless. I think it is mostly for configuring home users.
    It does allow you to specifiy if you want to use WEP or WPA (as in WPA-PSK).
    I don't think it lets you configure 802.1X settings.

    The IProvisioningProfileWireless API allows you to add new wireless
    networks to the clients preferred list. It allows you to manipulate a bunch
    of different setting for a wireless network, but it only allows you to
    specify an EAP type to use, and not internal EAP parameters. For example,
    you could specify if the the wireless network was using either EAP-TLS or
    PEAP, but not whether to use PEAP-MSCHAPv2 or PEAP-TLS, or whether to
    validate server certificates.

    The XML schema for how a wireless profile is defined for use with this
    API is here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._5c8194fe-3f9c-4664-b589-4ce2b33797fa.xml.asp.
    This will show you what variables you can set using the API.

    In answer to your question regarding broadcasting SSIDs, this is a
    feature you need to configure on the access point, not on the wireless
    client.

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Mar 4, 2005