Automatic Anamorphic Stretching in DVD studio Pro

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by pheo, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. pheo

    pheo Guest

    I recently recorded a widescreen television program from my HDTV tuner
    to my dvd recorder. The resulting disk works great playing it on that
    machine and displayed on my widescreen TV. I wanted to play it later
    on my regular bedroom TV on a different DVD player. I get a squished
    anamorphic display that cannot be corrected by changing display
    settings for the dvd player. It also plays squished when played on my
    computer.

    I am assuming there is nothing that can be done with this disk to make
    it work on those things, but is there a way I convert it in DVD Studio
    Pro, so that it will automatically spread like the commercial ones
    do?

    I have been able to rip the M2V's and AC3's from the disk, but don't
    know what setting to use to get the result I want. The choices in DVD
    Studio Pro, are 4:3, 16:9 pan-scan, 16:9 letterbox, and 16:9 pan-scan
    & letterbox.

    pw

    pheo, Dec 26, 2007

  2. pheo

    xeaglecrest Guest

    As you have discovered, some DVD recorders do not properly set the 16:9
    flag.
    Panasonics only do it on RAM discs. What you need to do, is re-author
    the
    the disc with a program like TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will allow you to
    set the 16:9 flag so the disc will play properly on an older TV. A side
    benefit is you will be able to add a decent menu and place chapter marks
    exactly where you want them. The video is not re-encoded, so the video
    quality remains the same as the original disc.
    -Bill

    xeaglecrest, Dec 26, 2007

  3. pheo

    Bill's News Guest

    Or use a free program, such as IFOEdit, to merely change the
    flag - a few seconds of processing time.

    Bill's News, Dec 29, 2007