    p.s I plan to restrict it to .zip files so if they get executed by a bug
    my computer will try and open it in winzip instead of executing any
    malicious code inside.

    DaN, Dec 3, 2006

  2. I don't believe in caps lock, or all caps, or typing in caps, except on
    special occasions, or very special occasions like this. The answer to your
    inquiry is NOT JUST "NO" BUT "OH HELL NO!"

    Always configure *any* client so that you have some option or confirmation
    dialog first. That's the prudent rule... Nobody's the boss of you. You do
    what you want. But that's the rule of thumb.

    IRC is a particularly dangerous place because it's protocol is command-line
    driven, and there are a lot of options for invisible and untraceable shell
    accounts out there. Ghost proxies, shadow goulies, and invisible
    incorrigibles. Even mIRC advises that you utilize the confirmation dialog.

    "Safe as an e-Mail attachment" - Now *there's* a concept!

    It is never safe to accept an e-Mail attachment from a sender you don't know,
    or have knowledge of. There is a more-safer way to handle these things, but
    in no wise is it "safe." Listen now and hear me later, the AV industry
    doesn't come up with protections and remedies until after a new malware
    hits... This threat is up into the 100's of 1,000's now. If you want to be
    the "First" to get bit, IRC is a really good place to fly with shields down
    and weapons deactivated. Sooner or later AVG and Symantec and Trend-micro,
    etc., will find a fix, for sure... Whoopee when you're waiting?

    PS: "Windows" is not who you're protecting against; neither is "Windows"
    protecting you. "Peoples" (personally, I think they're dark forboding
    entities from Hell itself, who have assimilated the bodies of snot-nosed-kids
    with too much misfocused education, affirmation problems and poor-parenting
    issues) who write malwares, and know what Windoes and what Windon't and
    that's how they get their badwares to work - but only if you let 'em in. You
    can make a file look like a *.zip or *.rar over a network, but's really a
    ~*GOTCHA*~ once it's on your HDD, and for ~15KB it can launch a routine to
    find your root drive and wipe it out - and even pulling the electrical plug
    won't stop it.

    But that's not generally what they want. What they want is a methodical
    infiltration into your and thousands of others' system services so they can
    launch pre-determined attacks as per a built in schedule to do stuff like
    make the "Hooters" website say "Poopers", and they don't care if it ruins a
    few machines in the process.

    So, don't be a retard, and don't be a retard enabler, and don't feed the
    retards... please for your own sake.

    "You're a brave man!
    Go and break through the lines.
    And remember, while you're out there risking your life and limb
    through shot and shell,
    we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are."
    -- Groucho Marx, 'Duck Soup' to Harpo as Pinky (1933)

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 3, 2006

  3. DaN

    ProfGene Guest

    Viruses have to be opened to activate but not spyware. Spyware plants
    itself in your computer without you having to open anything. It is
    embedded in certain programs and files.

    ProfGene, Dec 12, 2006
  4. DaN

    Lookout Guest

    I've never (in 10+ years) seen malware on IRC however I manually add
    in the usual file types (.jpg, .zip, .avi\mov\mpg\mpeg, .mp3) just to
    be safe. You will get a notice that something different is being sent
    and can add the odd file (.rar?) as it comes up. One IRC net dosen't
    allow .zip files unless you type an allow for each user each time you
    join.

    Lookout, Dec 12, 2006