Australia Banning Plasma TVs? Plus the UK a well.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Greg House, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Greg House

    Rich80105 Guest

    That url gave a review of the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT Shootout (AGP)
    and I could not see the relevant article on that site.

    Rich80105, Oct 14, 2007

  3. Greg House

    whoisthis Guest

    Good, we are rapidly heading for an energy crisis.
    We do NOT have enough energy as is, how will we cope when oil becomes
    scarce (bio fuels are NOT the answer unless you choose not to eat!).

    whoisthis, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Greg House

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    It would save a lot more energy to bring in a maximum cc rating of
    1800 for private transport.

    Sue Bilstein, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Richard Guest

    Not everyone can ride a motorbike tho...

    Richard, Oct 14, 2007
  6. Greg House

    John Guest

    Does that mean Helen can still drive around in a V8 guzzler at
    180kph+?

    John, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Greg House

    Allistar Guest

    Removing consumer choice is not the answer though. Limiting freedoms is not
    the answer.
    There are way worse culprits for consuming energy that plasma TVs. Aircraft.
    Automobiles. Heaters. Spa pools.

    Allistar, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Greg House, Oct 14, 2007
  9. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    I here that the Green Party made some comment on the TV about Electric kettles and Toasters, so no
    more toast and tea..

    Greg House, Oct 14, 2007
  10. Greg House

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Of course. The Politburo are different from the masses.

    Sue Bilstein, Oct 14, 2007
  11. Greg House

    Rich80105 Guest

    Sometimes it is easier to post the article - particularly as sometimes
    the articles disappear from websites before discussion is over.

    Australia has of course a conservative government - on the basis of
    this article and their previous lack of logic I guess harvey and John
    B will claim that Howard is a communist and all the other silly names
    that they called Helen Clarke.

    It does appear that in both New Zealand and Australia there is a
    rational debate (excepting harvey and John B's diatribes here of
    course) on what should or can be done to both assist consumers and
    reduce energy use. In neither country have governments considered
    recommendations or made any decisions.

    The article said:
    ____________
    Plasma TV 'off limits': watch this space

    MOST current plasma television sets would be banned from sale in
    Australia within a year under onerous mandatory energy requirements
    recommended in a report commissioned by the Federal Government.

    The consulting firm Digital CEnergy, which prepared the report for the
    Government's Australian Greenhouse Office, also recommends a second
    tier of even tougher restrictions that would then ban almost all
    current LCD models from the market in April 2011.

    The report was commissioned in response to a fact sheet released this
    year by the Government's Equipment Energy Efficiency Committee, which
    said television power consumption was increasing at an alarming rate
    as consumers upgraded from low-power cathode-ray TVs to
    energy-guzzling plasma and LCD behemoths.

    It found TVs were fast overtaking fridges, heaters and
    air-conditioners as the major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions
    from households.

    Digital CEnergy presented its recommendations last week. The industry
    is being invited to comment on the 166-page report. Television
    manufacturers contacted yesterday said they were still assessing the
    recommendations.

    They include the implementation of a star-based energy rating scheme
    similar to that mandated for most consumer whitegoods from 1992.

    Star rating stickers on TVs would encourage consumers to think about
    energy consumption before buying. Manufacturers would be under
    pressure to develop more energy efficient TVs.

    In March, a Nielsen telephone survey of 1400 Australian adults found
    85 per cent favoured mandatory energy efficiency labels on TV sets.

    But Digital CEnergy's recommendations go a step further, calling for
    strict mandatory minimum requirements that would exclude from the
    market the worst-performing televisions.

    The firm presented its proposed ratings system at meeting of industry
    representatives and others. TVs that failed to achieve at least a
    single star would be eliminated from the market.

    According to Digital CEnergy's tests of 116 TV sets, all but four of
    the 20-odd plasma models would be eliminated under the first-tier
    ratings system proposed for October next year. But nearly all the LCD
    models tested achieved at least one star.

    A proposed tightening of the system by April 2011 would make it even
    harder to achieve a single-star rating.

    This would exclude from the market not only all current plasma models
    tested but most LCD sets as well.

    Digital CEnergy did not say which TVs it examined.

    Jez Ford, editor of Sound & Image, attended the consultation last
    week. He said manufacturers were concerned there would be too little
    time to respond with updated products.

    "As a consumer I should be able to choose a superior product and not
    have it removed from the market just because it pulls an extra light
    bulb's worth of power, and so it's a consumer choice issue as well as
    just an unrealistic deadline issue," he said.

    The Australian Greenhouse Office made no comment.
    _________________

    Rich80105, Oct 14, 2007
  12. I note the article states "onerous mandatory regulatory requirements"
    hardly an accolade.

    But doest that contradict your claims that there is no intent to bar
    wide screen TVs in this country, please make your mind up.

    Harvey Wilson, Oct 14, 2007
  13. Greg House

    Rich80105 Guest

    And you point is? They do not claim that such requirements have been
    introduced, or that the Australian government has even considered
    recommendations.
    What intent are you talking about harvey - this article is more
    specific than the article in New Zealand ( which did _not_ say that
    banning all widescreen TVs was even being considered), but does not
    say what the governemtn actually intend to do - just as in New Zealand
    if the Government has not even considered the results of an
    investigation it is difficult to predict what decision will be made.

    It is interesting that manufacctirors have indicated that with
    sufficient time they would respond with updated products - I am sure
    you would applaud our government assisting consumers to get better
    products from overseas manufacturers, given your previous comments
    about countries such as China and the need for rigorous standards for
    imports tot his country..

    Rich80105, Oct 14, 2007
  14. Greg House

    Nighthawk Guest

    I could live with that easily, though diesels should have a higher
    limit, 3 litres, because of their inherant better economy, and so that
    one could have a SUV capable of towing.

    Nighthawk, Oct 14, 2007
  15. Greg House

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Yeah right, so you can tow the big launch with the really huge
    outboards.

    No sorry, if the Greens are going to tell you what TV you can have,
    they certainly will prevent you running the big SUV and the big boat.

    Sue Bilstein, Oct 14, 2007
  16. Greg House

    Squiggle Guest

    Linux weenies leaving (3+) PCs running 24/7 just so they can
    self-pleasure themselves over their uptimes..

    Squiggle, Oct 14, 2007
  17. Greg House

    Nighthawk Guest

    No, I was really thinking of the yacht. :)

    Nighthawk, Oct 14, 2007
  18. Greg House

    Dave Taylor Guest

    LOL
    http://www.fit-pc.com/
    A green computer for 24 / 7 operation
    fit-PC draws only 5 Watts, consuming in a day less power than a
    traditional PC consumes in 1 hour. You can leave fit-PC to work 24/7
    without making a dent in your electric bill.

    Dave Taylor, Oct 14, 2007
  19. Greg House

    Squiggle Guest

    Then remove all the crush zones, side impact bars, airbags etc from cars
    thereby reducing the weight of the average car by 80kgs. This will
    reduce the fuel consumption, and have the benefit of removing a few less
    worthy examples of the human race from the gene pool too. They can't
    contribute to global warming if they are busy pushing up daisies.

    Enforced minimum car occupancy rates (peak hours in urban areas) and
    decent public transport services would be a little more practical
    however. :)

    Squiggle, Oct 14, 2007
  20. Greg House

    John Guest

    I was thinking of tying all the commie Labour and Green mp's to
    the towbar and zapping around the country at 180kph.

    John, Oct 14, 2007