Audio recording

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill Dobbs, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Bill Dobbs

    Bill Dobbs Guest

    I know this is not the correct newsgroup for this topic, and I did post it
    in the appropriate one, but it really doesn't get a lot of traffic. I
    decided to post it here to see if someone might have an answer.

    I started recording some of my old LP's to put on CD's, and have discovered
    that the left channel has a lot less volume than the right. I reversed the
    wires to the preamp to eliminate it as possibly being the problem. I also
    tried it on another computer.

    I have had this turntable for many years, but it hasn't been used for many
    years either. The cartridge is an Audio Empire, which as I remember, was a
    pretty good cartridge. I removed the stylus and cleaned it, but it had no
    noticeable affect. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than replacing
    the
    cartridge? I guess I really don't know what to expect, thinking channel
    separation from the old LP's might make both channels sound much the same,
    rather than the difference in volume.

    Bill

    Bill Dobbs, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Bill Dobbs

    NetRanger Guest

    I know nothing about LP players. I used to have something similar to yours.
    I didn't really fix it but let it go through a mixer to make it balance.
    hope it helps,
    Eric

    NetRanger, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Bill Dobbs

    Michael Guest

    1) You *are* using a stereo (3 conductor) cable to connect it to your
    computer, right?

    2) You need to put an amplifier (not just an impedance-match preamp) in
    between the turntable and the computer. The output voltage and of a
    turntable is too low for reliable transcription through a computer's audio
    input.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Bill, who made the turntable? How old is it? When you switch the inputs to
    the preamp, did the problem change speakers, or stay on the same one? Have
    you checked the wires (If any) going to the cartridge, to make sure they're
    on?

    I'm sure I'm forgetting something else to ask. Been 5 years since I worked
    on one. <G>

    NOI

    thund3rstruck_n0i, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Bill Dobbs

    paul s Guest

    A pre-amp is a impedance matching, RIAA equalizing and amplifying device.
    High-impedance magnetic cartridge to low-impedance ouput suitable for a
    power-amp, line-in on soundcard, etc. The deck I use has one built in, I
    just plug the deck into the line-in on my SB Live! with a phono to stereo
    mini-jack adaptor, and record away.

    paul s, Jul 18, 2003