audio errors in new star wars dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by J.S., Sep 20, 2004.

  1. J.S.

    J.S. Guest

    From thedigitalbits.com

    " In all the hype over the DVD release of Star Wars, I'm afraid to say
    there's a bit of bad news about the discs (or at least one of them) from a
    quality standpoint. We've discovered what we believe are serious audio
    defects on Episode IV - A New Hope. We've updated our DVD review of the set
    accordingly with the details as follows:

    [Editor's Note: since we initially wrote this review, we've detected a
    number of audio/mixing errors on the DVD version of A New Hope. They are as
    follows:

    1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after
    Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards
    the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost
    inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

    2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would
    prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as
    if the master sound element was damaged. It's very distracting.

    3) Possibly most critically, John Williams' entire score for the film has
    been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left rear
    channel is playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa). What this
    means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments
    heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the
    right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you notice it.

    These problems are certainly severe enough in our opinion to merit a
    repressing/exchange of the disc. We're waiting to hear back from Lucasfilm
    on this issue and we'll update this review with the details as soon as we
    do.] "

    Hmm, I think I'll hold off on picking this up now.. anyone confirm this?

    J.S.

    J.S., Sep 20, 2004

  2. J.S.

    Elektro Guest

    I just got my DVD set last night, I haven't had the time to watch it
    yet but I did flip trough it expecially Episode IV and first I noticed
    most of the surround was coming from the right channel and for the
    first time ever my amplifier started clipping ( both left channels
    front and surround).
    I wasn't sure what to make of it, I thought it was due to the dolby 5.1
    EX, I have only a regular dolby 5.1 decoder, but I suspected that
    wasn't the real problem, after all EX should be backward compatible.

    Can anyone shed some light on this, am I the only one with this problem?

    Elektro, Sep 24, 2004

  3. J.S.

    mrknowitall Guest

    RE: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa94.html#ep4audio

    mrknowitall, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Being only casually into audio, I have always heard the term "clipping"
    for amplifyers but don't quite know what it means. Can someone define
    it?

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Sep 25, 2004
  5. J.S.

    Asegawa Guest

    The amplifier shuts down the channel for protection when overloading.
    You will actually hear a cliking sound.

    Asegawa, Sep 25, 2004

  6. Clipping is when an amp is driven past it's peak performance. When
    viewed on an oscilloscope, a sound wave is suppsed to be pointed, when
    it is clipped, it will flatten at the top. And clipping can't always
    be heard. What makes clipping so bad is, it can damage your speakers.

    Dyuob Poltice, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Ahhhh....

    Michael Rogers, Sep 25, 2004
  8. J.S.

    dvdguy2 Guest

    Lucas's excuses will be:

    Editor's Note: since we initially wrote this review, we've detected a
    number of audio/mixing errors on the DVD version of A New Hope. They are
    as follows:
    1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right
    after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start
    diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume
    so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the
    surround mix.

    "I always planned for it to be that way from the beginning." "But the
    technological limits of the time made it impossible for me to do so.

    2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would
    prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." -
    almost as if the master sound element was damaged. It's very
    distracting.

    "I always planned for it to be that way from the beginning". "But the
    technological limits of the time prevented me from being able to do so.

    3) Possibly most critically, John Williams' entire score for the film
    has been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left
    rear channel is playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa).
    What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels
    - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear
    instead of the right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you
    notice it.

    "I always planned for it to be that way when I originally produced it.
    But it was impossible for me to do so with the technological limits of
    the time the originals were released".

    dvdguy2, Oct 2, 2004
  9. J.S.

    dvdguy2 Guest