    Bios: AMI 3.00
    Memory: 512 MB
    OS: Windows XP Pro SP2

    Norman Swartz, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Norman Swartz

    PC Guest

    Turn DMA 'on'

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Norman Swartz

    old jon Guest

    Have you tried it with DMA ON ?.

    old jon, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Norman Swartz

    Plato Guest

    Make sure you are virus/spyware free and that you are defragmennted and
    that you have cleared intneret cache and that you got enough free space
    on C: left for a proper page/swap file.

    Plato, Jan 24, 2006
  5. I have tried to turn on DMA, both in software and in the BIOS. But Nero
    continues to report that DMA is "OFF". Might it make a difference if I
    update the firmware? Should I revert to the audio output of the drive
    for audio playback and abandon digital extraction? Any other ideas?

    --Norman Swartz
    ==============================

    Norman Swartz, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Norman Swartz

    JANA Guest

    This can be from something running in the background using too much in the
    way of resources. It is possible that there is some dirt on the laser head.
    You can try to use a cleaning CD to see if this fixes the fault.

    It is also possible that there is a fault condition with the drive. I have
    had defective CD and DVD drives do the type of fault you are describing.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Audio CD playback randomly breaks up. Pausing the drive, backing up to
    the beginning of the track, and playing the track again eliminates the
    problem, only to have it recur (at random) on later tracks. Any ideas
    how to eliminate the problem? Thanks.

    Specs
    CD/DVD Burner: LG GSA-4163B, Firmware A104
    DMA Off
    Digital extraction enabled and used

    NVIDIA(R) nForce Audio

    CPU: AMD Sempron 2800+ 2000 MHz
    Bus Speed: 166 MHz
    Motherboard: ASUSTek A7NVM400
    Bios: AMI 3.00
    Memory: 512 MB
    OS: Windows XP Pro SP2

    JANA, Jan 25, 2006
  7. After a few hours searching on the Web, I have discovered why I was
    unable to turn on DMA. See http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

    ********

    Norman Swartz, Jan 25, 2006
  8. Norman Swartz

    PC Guest

    Norman

    Thanks for posting back the fix, I'll be adding that to my 'XP' folder.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 25, 2006