Attacking multi-core cpus

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob S, Sep 15, 2007.

  1. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Rob S, Sep 15, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Rob S

    ChrisOD Guest

    Sounds like bullshit!
    And I quote...
    "These attack techniques target an architectural vulnerability in the wrapper
    approach, and readily apply across operating systems and hardware platforms.
    I was able to use the same C language exploits across several operating
    systems, including Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. They should apply
    equally well on other operating systems."

    Yes futex is a good start but there is a long way to go and nix is by no means
    invulnerable.

    ChrisOD, Sep 16, 2007
  4. Rob S

    Squiggle Guest

    err, really?
    did you not read this part? Or just more FUD from you again?
    sounds like all OSes need to be assessed and secured.

    "And what about the OS?

    Squiggle, Sep 16, 2007
  5. Rob S

    Gordon Guest

    However, there is a heck of alot of people on guard. Ready to figure out
    what needs to be done in an attack. Profit? that is what corporations are
    focused on, as are the attackers.

    Ms Penguin says bring it on. Some days she catches no fish, others there is
    so many to catch

    Gordon, Sep 16, 2007
  6. Sounds like the writer deliberately wrote buggy code, and then showed that
    they were able to exploit this bug. Big deal.

    I'm not aware of any currently-shipping APIs on Linux which would be
    vulnerable to this sort of problem. Like I said, Linux developers tend to
    be more accustomed to operating in a multitasking, multiprocessor
    environment.

    The article also mentioned that this "wrapper approach" was commonly used by
    antivirus software. That would only be true on Dimdows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2007