    with a bunch of Mozilla selections. Tried linking to it out of my
    Yahoo mailbox as well as from some other sites, but I keep getting the
    same result. Ideas?

    Motorhead Lawyer, Jan 7, 2005

  2. ******** = axolotl.mozilla.org

    Motorhead Lawyer, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Motorhead Lawyer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Sounds like you are infected by a trojan/hijack program. Clean your system

    Moz Champion, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Motorhead Lawyer

    Jowah Guest

    Jowah, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Gentlemen, you were correct. A subtle registry change picked up by
    Spybot S&D. OK; I'm new at this high speed stuff as well as at
    Firefox. I'm running Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and McAfee
    Antivirus. I've never been dumb enough to open unidentifiable or
    unknown email attachments or to allow most Java scripts to run.
    Cookies are usually blocked, too. What am I missing (aside from the
    obvious stuff McAfee wants to sell me.)?

    Finally, I always figured a hijacker would take a home page to
    somewhere that it would benefit him/her. Is there some Mozilla
    guerilla out there trying to torpedo Yahoo (Not that I'm a big fan of
    theirs, but it is a nice 'disposable' email account and you can dump
    lots - by my standards - of viewable stuff there.)? Is there someone
    with one of the Evil Empires (MS, AOL, etc.) doing this to make Mozilla
    look bad?
    Did you misspell your name? =;^)

    Motorhead Lawyer, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Motorhead Lawyer

    Jowah Guest

    Sounds like you've got the anti virus/spyware stuff covered. I'm glad
    you were able to fix the problem. BTW...I thought you misspelled yours!
    LOL :)

    J. Kriger

    Jowah, Jan 11, 2005
  7. You're running Windows.

    No, really. There's only so much you can do with Windows to make it
    secure; you'll always be playing a catch-up game with the malware dudes.

    I will agree that there may be entirely valid reasons why you might want
    to continue using Windows, but as long as you do you'll have to accept the
    fact that you need to devote a significant amount of money, time, and
    effort in dealing with malware -- either removing it from your system,
    recovering from its adverse effects, or acquiring and using the myriad
    utilities that try to minimize the effect of malware on your system.

    Just be happy that if you ever decide to switch to a more secure plaform,
    you'll still have familiar software to use there.

    John Thompson, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Motorhead Lawyer

    Tony Raven Guest

    Based on my very positive experiences switching to FF/TB I tried joining
    the Penguinistas but eventually gave up. The first laptop gave a
    totally unreadable screen on install so I couldn't do anything further.
    The other installed OK but failed to pick up the wireless card and
    after a full day of reading and browsing the web I gave up on trying to
    work out how to get the software to recognise it existed!

    I tried some of the more user friendly and laptop friendly versions.
    Someone seriously suggested using Gentoo to get round the problems but I
    don't have the time to do the degree course needed to use it. I am no
    fan of Windows but after my attempts I can see why the Penguins haven't
    taken over the world yet.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Well, there's always Mac...