ATM0 is initializing, line protocol is down

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tirenque, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Tirenque

    Tirenque Guest

    Hello,

    I just got a Cisco 1721 that is going to replace my functioning
    SpeedStream 5500 ADSL router. I have purchased the proper ADSL WIC
    because I had this WIC working at the office on an ADSL line we have
    there.

    Here is the problem. When I do a:

    R1#show int atm0

    I get:

    ATM0 is initializing, line protocol is down
    Hardware is DSLSAR (with Alcatel ADSL Module)
    MTU 4470 bytes, sub MTU 4470, BW 800 Kbit, DLY 640 usec,
    reliability 0/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ATM, loopback not set
    Encapsulation(s): AAL5 AAL2, PVC mode
    23 maximum active VCs, 256 VCs per VP, 0 current VCCs
    VC Auto Creation Disabled.
    VC idle disconnect time: 300 seconds
    Last input never, output never, output hang never
    Input queue: 0/224/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: Per VC Queueing
    0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

    So to me this looks like a layer 1 problem because it cannot train the
    line. Yet when I pull the phone line out of the 1721 the interface
    stays initializing and does not go to down:

    Is this normal? Could the card have busted between my house and work? I
    have a green WIC1 OK light.

    Any ideas what my problem could be?

    Thanks,

    T.

    Tirenque, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Tirenque

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Tirenque

    Tirenque Guest

    Thanks for your quick reply but I am afraid I am still in the same
    situation. The line will not train so the card must have either died on
    the way home from work today or I am doing something very wrong.

    But can someone tell me what the WIC 1 OK led gaurentees?? A green to
    me would indicate that all the self tests passed and at least on a
    physical level the card should be good.

    It my assumption correct?

    Thanks,

    Tina

    Tirenque, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Tirenque

    Tirenque Guest

    Just call me Jacka$$:

    I did a:

    R1#show diag [wic-slot-num]

    and BOOM! I felt like a real idiot....

    output omitted
    !
    !
    WIC/VIC Slot 1:
    Alcatel 20166/20174 ADSL over ISDN WIC
    Daughter card-Version 4 TLV Cookie Format
    Hardware Revision : 1.0
    PCB Serial Number : FOC07191PF5
    Part Number : 73-8276-03
    Board Revision : A0
    RMA Test History : 00
    RMA Number : 0-0-0-0
    RMA History : 00
    Deviation Number : 1-2342
    Product (FRU) Number : WIC-1ADSL-I-DG
    Top Assy. Part Number : 800-21969-01
    CLEI Code : IP5IJBDCAA

    I dont have ISDN at home.....But Hope this helps someone, someday....

    Ciao,

    Tina

    Tirenque, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Tirenque

    Charlie Root Guest

    Your WIC is for ADSL-over-ISDN line. Could be that your office line is over
    ISDN, while your home line is ISDN-over-POTS? If so, then you need WIC card
    without -DG in the name.

    Kind regards,
    iLya

    Charlie Root, Mar 21, 2006