    I hate to post this in an ATI or Nvidia site, so I'll post it here.

    If I get an ATI card, should I get an ATI motherboard? Nvidia motherboards
    are not going to be as good for ATI?

    Ben Markson, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Ben Markson

    Michael-NC Guest

    Actually, ATI cards perform better in a nVidia platform. We're talking
    single cards and the latest hardware here. If you plan to or intend to later
    run 2 ATI cards in crossfire mode, you're limited to ATI platforms though
    there are some ATI crossfire nVidia setups in the hands of developers using
    drivers that are not publicly available. The performance difference we're
    talking about is small and mainly shows up in benchmarking, not in most real
    world application. The only way you'll actually see a difference is running
    games at 1600x1200 with full eye-candy turned on and even then the
    difference may not be noticeable to the user. I would concentrate more on
    future upgrade paths and the suitability of the ATI or nVidia platforms to
    your particular needs when you make your choice.

    Michael-NC, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Ben Markson

    Ben Markson Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    What about the new ASUS 3200 Xpress they have out? I think it just came out
    in fact.

    Michael-NC, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Ben Markson

    Ben Markson Guest

    The reviews on it aren't very good. When I say not good, I mean not very
    "through" enough for me to make a decision.

    I don't plan on going Crossfire. BUT, I want a motherboard that will go
    seamless with my ATI card. It makes sense that an ATI Crossfire Xpress
    3200 will be more easy going with an ATI card than an Nvidia chipset.

    If I could just fine one good place where it tests a single GPU in either
    motherboard, I think that will answer everything for me.

    Ben Markson, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Ben Markson

    Michael-NC Guest

    It makes no differerance. ATI cards run fine in nVidia boards and same is
    true the other way. As I said, A single ATI card actually runs slightly
    faster in an nVidia board. A motherboard is motherboard and a video card is
    a video card. They don't have to have matching chipsets. It not important.

    Michael-NC, Mar 13, 2006