ATI 6,6's are out

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jun 28, 2006

  2. be still my heart.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Been an NVidia fan since RIVA 128 came out.
    Now starting to have 2nd thoughts about ATI.
    I follow ATI drivers evolution because my son has an ATI Radeon 9600
    It is good to have these 2 great player fighting for the throne.
    Carlos

    Guest, Jun 29, 2006
  4. After our experiences here with the nvidia "firewall", I made a personal
    decision to buy ATI. Especially given some other problems I had with a
    couple of nVidia cards I had here. But I've also learned to avoid every
    possible ATI driver update. If it's working OK, I tend to leave it alone. At
    least for a little while until the screams settle down. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Interesting part of this update to 6.6 - Installation instructions state
    that the previous ATI software must be completely removed - they even give
    instructions on how to go in and edit the registry to remove parts that are
    removed by their software uninstaller.

    Larry

    Lawrence E. Oliver, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Guest

    Foofy Guest

    They must have hired ex McAfee or Norton employees. Standard practice with
    their products.

    Foofy, Jun 29, 2006
  8. Guest

    Graham Guest

    Where does it say that for x64? It doesn't say that in the release notes
    and that's all you get to see before you run the executable you downloaded.

    (Once again the x64 drivers have a minimal change. Just one fixed issue.
    Sigh.)

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 29, 2006
  9. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jun 29, 2006
  10. ATI's Knowledge base : ATI Customer Care > Solve a Problem > Installation >
    ATI Drivers and Software > item # 737-20561: Removing Old ATI Software. The
    first paragraph states: "These instructions are for those that are trying to
    update their software to the lastest version. To do so, you first need to
    remove the existing ATI software that is present on your system." It then
    goes on and gives step-by-step instructions.

    However, I did misread the article - the requirement to modify the Registry
    is not always required. You only have to modify the registry "... If you
    encounter any error messages while uninstalling such as 'Error 1905 - DLL
    failed to unregister'..."

    Or am I reading too much into the process?

    Larry

    Lawrence E. Oliver, Jun 29, 2006
  11. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Based on Charlie's post, don't guess he will be reporting on how they will
    work any time soon.

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2006
  12. I'll wait for someone who has two ferrari's, with a third (5000!) on the way
    to report back. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2006
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Funny thing is that I NEVER had any problems with NVidia firewall.
    Two installations on two different machines (NForce3 and NForce4 based) had
    absolutely no problems.
    I chose not to install I don't remember what in NVidia package and that
    seemed to do it. No NVidia firewall installed, trouble free system.
    Carlos

    Guest, Jun 29, 2006
  14. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Same here Carlos. I have had both ATI and Nvidia video cards and have had
    much less trouble with the Nvidia. Nfidia chipsets or the Asus BIOS, not
    sure which, is another matter. Will avoid Asus first since the chipset fan
    there has been a nightmare. After 2 changouts in 1 1/2 years, I still have
    to open the case and start it manually about 10% of the time.

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2006