    gaming) and photo editing. I just received an iPod and have to buy new
    (I should have long ago, anyway)...but I don't want to go with the
    cheaper Athlon if it won't work smoothly for my purposes.

    Bradley Hayward, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Bradley Hayward

    Matt Pascoe Guest

    Athlon

    Matt Pascoe, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Bradley Hayward

    David Guest

    I just got an Athlon 64, which is a bit faster than the Athlon XP. It
    is a 3200+ in an HP Pavilion. It will be able to run the new 64 bit
    OS's. AAMOF, 64 bit XP is available now via download for early adopters! :)

    Various benchmarking program tests give the nod to the 64 sometimes, and
    occasionally to the P4's. Overall, I think the 64 is a great value.

    I'm not sure if the speed difference is "enormous".

    David

    David, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Bradley Hayward

    Jim Berwick Guest

    An Athlon XP xxxx+ generally holds up well against a P4 x.xGhz chip, and is
    usually cheaper. For net and photo editing (mild photo editing at least),
    you'll be fine with either. Get whatever gives you the most for the least
    money.

    Jim Berwick, Oct 18, 2004