Athlon XP vs. Pentium 4 : The Ultimate 32-bit CPU Showdown

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Big Cat, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Big Cat

    Big Cat Guest

    Big Cat, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Big Cat

    Big Cat Guest

    Yes I bet its truer than you..?

    Big Cat, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Big Cat

    Big Cat Guest

    Wow a 1kw heater user..

    Big Cat, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Big Cat

    Ben Perston Guest

    Why would anyone weep? They're just CPUs, man.

    If you look at 3dMark 2001, the Athlon holds its own, certainly winning
    per MHz. Note that their graphs are stupid, by the way.

    Quake 3 the P4 wins pretty convincingly.

    They don't include ScienceMark for some reason... any ideas why?

    Ben Perston, Sep 18, 2003
  5. Big Cat

    Big Cat Guest

    As usual, defended by a Lemon user..

    Big Cat, Sep 18, 2003
  6. Big Cat

    Ben Perston Guest

    Whoops, apparently ctrl-enter (which I pressed by accident) sends the
    message. To continue...

    The general trend is that the fastest P4s are faster than the fastest
    Athlons, but there's not much in it in most cases. I don't know why you
    get so worked up about such things :).

    You picked a really bad article to cite, by the way... I think the
    price-performance page pretty much proves they haven't thought very hard
    about what they're doing!

    They seem to consider themselves quite expert though... "Bear with us as
    we explain this chart. In layman language, each data point..."

    Bleh...

    Ben Perston, Sep 18, 2003
  7. Big Cat

    E. Scrooge Guest

    LOL
    It's hardly going to be any quicker with your crap. Here today gone
    tomorrow. What's the piece of crap that you're using again? And how does
    it compare to the latest and fastest?

    The PCs of the future will have a random simple IQ test as they start up,
    just to be sure that you've got the clues to use it properly. You're going
    to have to cheat like Hell if you want to get past the test screen.
    LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Big Cat

    T.N.O. Guest

    I didn't defend anything.

    T.N.O., Sep 18, 2003
  9. That's weird. On the article you posted, the Intel Pentium 4 uses MORE
    power and outputs MORE heat than an AMD Athlon.

    Phillip Weston, Sep 18, 2003
  10. Big Cat

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Evil Bastard, Sep 18, 2003
  11. Big Cat

    Big Cat Guest

    You forgot the Extra power that is uses..?

    Big Cat, Sep 18, 2003
  12. Big Cat

    MarkH Guest

    Big wrote in

    Did you read the first page?
    Athlon P4
    Thermal Design Power (Max) 68.3W - 76.8W 66.2W - 82.0W

    So the bottom Athlon uses 68.3W compared to the P4 66.2W, wow that’s like
    3% more. Ha ha, I petty the fools that buy CPUs that generate 3% more heat
    than mine, staggering.

    Of course you can also see that the top P4 uses 7% more power than the top
    Athlon.

    MarkH, Sep 18, 2003
  13. Big Cat

    AD. Guest

    It means he's not sure whether you really exist or are just his latest
    delusion.

    You haven't taken your pills have you Woger?

    AD., Sep 18, 2003
  14. Oh, you mean the extra power the Intel uses?

    Phillip Weston, Sep 18, 2003
  15. Big Cat

    KS Guest

    As usual, defended by a Lemon user..

    Ahh, it's the intellectually stimulating discussions that go on here that I
    really respect.

    KS, Sep 18, 2003
  16. Big Cat

    Big Cat Guest