Athlon, Celeron, Duron, Sempron????????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shirley Azvedo, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

    Shirley Azvedo, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
    Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
    have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
    best though.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Shirley Azvedo

    BIG NIGE Guest

    It probably is the best though because Athlon Dual Processors talk to each
    other much faster than Pentium Dual Processors cos they dont go via the FSB.

    BIG NIGE, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Shirley Azvedo

    Martik Guest

    Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there will
    be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the summer
    and see no difference in basic application performance.

    Martik, Aug 10, 2005
  5. What kind of temp savings do you get by underclocking that much, Martik?

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2005
  6. I got my 4200 X2 in a couple of days ago, got the system mostly built.
    Couldn't afford the $500 spread between the 4200 and the 4800. It better
    be good.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Shirley Azvedo

    Martik Guest

    3-4C but more importantly it reduces fan noise a little (volcano 7)

    Martik, Aug 10, 2005