AT&T ADSL and IPv6

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by tb, Oct 11, 2013.

  1. tb

    tb Guest

    This might not be the right forum for my question. If so, maybe you
    can suggest a better one!

    I have ADSL though AT&T, they are slowly switching to IPv6 and I have a
    2Wire 2701 modem which is not IPv6 compatible.

    AT&T's store offers two modems:

    Netgear DSL Gateway Model 7550
    ADSL Device configured for AT&T DSL services
    LAN Interface: (4) Ethernet 10/100BASE-T (RJ-45) with auto-crossover
    and a high-powered 802.11n Wireless Access Point
    WAN Interface: ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ (RJ-11)
    Light indicators: Power, Ethernet, DSL, Internet, and Activity
    Private or Public LAN IP address
    Manufacturer: NETGEAR

    PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N
    Manufacturer: Pace
    ADSL Device configured for AT&T DSL services
    WAN Interface: ADSL (RJ-11)
    LAN Interface: 4 port 10/100 Ethernet with Auto-crossover (RJ-45); high
    powered 802.11N MIMO access point or high powered HyperG access point
    PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) gateway / pass-thru
    Static IP capable

    They both cost US$100.00. Which one is of better quality?

    tb, Oct 11, 2013

  2. bellsouth.net.support.adsl USED to be suitable, at least for the
    bellsouth.net part of AT&T, back before AT&T dropped newsgroups.
    [snip]
    They haven't mentioned IPV6 in this area yet. so I have no idea.

    However, something to check: Which can handle the faster ADSL
    connection, if you use internet enough to want a fast connection?

    They sent me what might be the Netgear model at no charge when my
    2Wire modem quit working a few months ago. No problems so far.

    robertmilesxyz, Oct 11, 2013

  3. tb

    Char Jackson Guest

    <snip>

    What problem are you having with your current equipment that prompts you to
    shop for something new?

    Companies have been slowly, and I emphasize the word slowly, moving toward
    IPv6 for 10-15 years. If they were to roll out something that actually
    requires IPv6 rather than something that is only IPv6 compatible, what makes
    you think they won't make sure you have compatible equipment? What I'm
    saying is, you may not have to buy your own equipment at all, or if you just
    want to, you may not have to buy it for another 5-10 years, and by that time
    whatever you buy now will be obsolete.

    Char Jackson, Oct 12, 2013