At my wits end with trying to get 3c940 onboard LAN to work with Mandrake 9.2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alpine Dragon, May 16, 2004.

  1. Okay I am now at my wits end. I can't for the life of me get the P4P800
    onboard LAN (3COM 3c940) to work. I've tried asking around on other
    newsgroups (where I did get some suggestion but so far no luck) and Webbased
    forums (got no replies what so ever).

    Has anyone with Mandrake 9.2 ('download edition' Purchased from DSE)and a
    P4P800 Motherboard been able to get this combination to work?

    I've downloaded the kernel source (kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm) and
    installed source into it's rightful position (usr/src/linux)
    Compiled the drivers without errors
    But when going insmod 3c2000. I get...

    3c2000.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
    invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    make: *** [load] Error 1

    When I attempt to go 'ifconfig up eth0' I get some hostname error.

    Obviously the driver is failing to detect the device... How do I get the
    driver to detect the device?

    I've tried using the SK98lin drivers that was included on the CD, it appears
    to detect the onboard LAN, but it regularly locks up the system tight.

    ANY help greatly appreciated.

    ------ For reference------
    'Readme' that came with the driver...
    http://alpinedragon.orcon.net.nz/other/public/pub_docs/P4P800_3c2000_readme.txt

    System Specs...
    P4P800 SE Motherboard
    - 3COM 3c2000/3c940 onboard LAN
    P4 3.0GHz FSB 800 MHz with Hyperthreading Enabled.
    1GB PC3200 RAM
    MSI nVidia FX 5200 128MB Video
    Seagate 120GB SATA Harddrive.

    when I go 'uname -a' at the condole prompt, I get the following
    Linux localhost 2.4.22-10mdk #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003 i686
    unknown unknown GNU/Linux

    Alpine Dragon, May 16, 2004

  2. Alpine Dragon

    a Guest

    Have you tried the kernel patches from
    http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin.htm

    Some more info at:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=516

    Always seem to be mandrake that has driver issues ...

    a, May 16, 2004

  3. Alpine Dragon

    a Guest

    snip

    Also look at:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69418
    &highlight=3C000

    a, May 16, 2004
  4. Alpine Dragon

    steve Guest

    If all else fails, you can try ndiswrapper.

    It provides an interface that lets you use the Windows network adaptor
    drivers on Linux.

    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

    They explaicitly support some chipsets....but you can try any driver
    with it and see if it works - as far as I know.

    steve, May 16, 2004
  5. It's a little odd that there is no mention of that particular model of
    chipset anywhere at all on 3com's website.

    Quite a few 3com cards are supported by Linux drivers available from 3com
    or scyld.com

    The "Linux networking drivers" section of scyld.com has been down for
    weeks, yet there must be millions of links pointing to their site.

    Patrick Dunford, May 17, 2004
  6. Alpine Dragon

    MarkH Guest

    Ummm, you do know that you could disable the onboard LAN and install a PCI
    NIC don’t you? If you are at your wits end, then you are stressing unduly
    about something that could be sorted for less than $20.

    MarkH, May 17, 2004
  7. FYI Mark...
    Yes I do know I can indeed go down that path. The point of this exercise
    was for me to find out and learn how to successfully compile drivers for
    Linux. If you are using Linux, it's highly likely that you will have to
    compile drivers at some point.

    Alpine Dragon, May 17, 2004
  8. Alpine Dragon, May 17, 2004
  9. Alpine Dragon

    steve Guest

    Excellent suggestion. :)

    steve, May 17, 2004
  10. Alpine Dragon

    Glenn Guest

    The 3c2000 driver is IMO not too good. I found it doesnt compile with
    very many kernel versions. A more recent version of the kernel should
    have a more up to date sk98lin (its been under continuous development).
    I'm running 2.4.25 with that driver sweet as.

    Glenn, May 17, 2004