    background where everything is done for you !.

    Many thanks,
    Steve

    Steve McKee, Feb 2, 2005

  2. [email protected] is a distribution with asterisk included and some management
    tools also (web based).
    You can download it from:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome/

    Read the installation instruction at :
    http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/index.html

    And your ready to go:

    And if yoy search for asterisk at www.sf.net you will find some other stuff
    of intresst.

    And take a look at www.voip-info.org that is the source for info about VoIP
    and a lot of asterisk stuff.

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Feb 2, 2005

  3. And I just remembered that Andy Powell wrote a execelent "Getting Started
    With Asterisk".

    Take a look at : http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Feb 2, 2005
  4. Steve McKee

    Steve McKee Guest

    Thanks Mats, I'll give them a browse.

    Regards,
    Steve

    Steve McKee, Feb 2, 2005
  5. Steve McKee

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand
    Good advice on resources has already been given so I'll pitch my "how
    to get started with Asterisk" advice: just do it. Commit some time
    and hardware to setting up something. Get an account with at least
    one of the good PSTN providers. When you run into problems, ask.
    There are lots of us who will be happy to help. Do your homework but
    also plan to use us.

    Don't sit there trying to understand everything before you get started
    (like I did). Assume everything is going to work the way you want and
    just jump into it.

    If you install Debian (from Knoppix, even), Asterisk installation is
    not too much beyond "apt-get install asterisk". I'll be happy to step
    you through it.

    Oh! And keep track of the stuff you wish someone had told you. Post
    it for the next guy.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Steve McKee

    BlueRinse Guest

    Background articles. You should read them:
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

    Excellent tutorial (already mentioned)
    http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

    THE reference of the moment:
    http://www.asteriskdocs.org

    About using asterisk with double NAT (routers on both ends)
    http://willypick.mindsay.com/?entry=10

    BlueRinse, Feb 4, 2005