asterisk pbx ethernet

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by DummyBoy, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. DummyBoy

    DummyBoy Guest

    John,

    all I need now is to change our panasonic PBX with a more modern and
    customizable PBX that's why we think to use Asterisk on out linux box.
    The problem is to set up the hardware stuff....I first bought a
    TDM400P card but then I realized I could use a different and more
    scalable solution based on our LAN. I thought I could only buy 3 or 4
    IP phones, connect them in our HUB, configure Asterisk and then all I
    had to do was learning managing Asterisk to have always more services
    (voiceboxes, transfer call, etc) but it doesn't seem so easy.
    John, you said to set up a completely switched network and put the
    phones on a
    separate VLAN.
    What if I shouldn't use a vlan? Is it optional or it is only a matter
    of performance?
    If I should decide to use a VLAN I should buy a special switch, right?
    I don't know how to configure a VLAN...it is something to be
    configured in the switch or ...where (maybe inside linux or
    asterisk??)
    And what about power over ethernet?? Is the power provided by the
    switch?
    Alternatively I could use normal ethernet and buy self-powered phones,
    right?
    Sorry to disturb you but I found nothihg in wiki-asterisk about switch
    telephony hw and nothing in internet about how to build a VoIP net
    from scratch.

    (If you know a site you know where I can find all these infos I would
    avoid to disturb all the people here in this group).

    Thank you very much.

    DummyBoy

    DummyBoy, Jan 14, 2005