Asterisk... first questions of a newbie :-(

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stephane M, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Stephane M

    Stephane M Guest

    Hello there,

    I am interested in using Asterisk
    I start on www.asterisk.org , but I ama bit lost.
    I found the website www.xorcom.com , where they mention that asterisk can
    work out within 10 min... (debian package)

    1) do you know with with Linux distro, Asterisk could be up and running
    really quickly ?
    I mean available packages are for Debian ?
    (I am using CentOSv 4.0 ~ RHE v 4.0)

    2) I am not sure to understand; Xorcom is like an integrator using their
    hardware and * ?
    Do you know some others ?

    3) I did download in the past, * and seems to be only command line ?
    Is there any GUI available ? is there integrated into * packages ? or is it
    additional packages ?

    4) Do the cards (used with *) allow you to receive incoming calls from
    PSTNLine ? (AFAIK Linux doesn't like very much "modems"...
    I would need to manage incoming PSTN and VOIP calls....

    5) Do you know where I could find good documentations from "beginners->
    improvers" ?
    I Only know documentation from www.asterisks.org I just wonder if there are
    other good websites, that you can indicate to me

    Cheers,

    Stephane

    Stephane M, Sep 20, 2005

  2. I got it going on SuSE 8.1 - several of the other "quick asterisk"
    distros wouldn't run on the PC. If you have something that works then
    load Asterisk and sort out the dependencies.
    it is command line, its a telephone switchboard not a playstation :)
    Asterisk has drivers etc for various PSTN in and out cards.
    http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+config+sip.conf

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Stephane M

    Jono Guest

    Stephane M wrote:
    || Hello there,
    || I am interested in using Asterisk
    || I start on www.asterisk.org , but I ama bit lost.
    || I found the website www.xorcom.com , where they mention that
    || asterisk can work out within 10 min... (debian package)
    || 1) do you know with with Linux distro, Asterisk could be up and
    || running really quickly ?
    || I mean available packages are for Debian ?
    || (I am using CentOSv 4.0 ~ RHE v 4.0)
    || 2) I am not sure to understand; Xorcom is like an integrator using
    || their hardware and * ?
    || Do you know some others ?
    || 3) I did download in the past, * and seems to be only command line ?
    || Is there any GUI available ? is there integrated into * packages ?
    || or is it additional packages ?
    || 4) Do the cards (used with *) allow you to receive incoming calls
    || from PSTNLine ? (AFAIK Linux doesn't like very much "modems"...
    || I would need to manage incoming PSTN and VOIP calls....
    || 5) Do you know where I could find good documentations from
    || "beginners-> improvers" ?
    || I Only know documentation from www.asterisks.org I just wonder if
    || there are other good websites, that you can indicate to me
    || Cheers,
    || Stephane

    This worked "out of the box" for me:

    http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

    Jono, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Stephane M

    Stephane M Guest

    Thanks Phil,

    Yes, I know this is not a playstation :)
    But what I looking for is
    1) the possiblilty to manage esily different providers (BT or Voip
    providers) according to a Dial plan for instance..
    2) be able to be like a switch board. I mean if sombody could take the line
    and forward it to somebody else..
    I wish to see this * like a "central " where I could see who is on the line
    or not...etc.. (Graphical gui would be fine)

    A guy working from home, receiving phone calls from the PBX
    The guy should be able to transfer his call back to the PBX for another guy
    (Also on Voip )...

    As well, I suppose that this will help to see the SAME phone number
    displayed, whoever is calling.....

    - Is that possible with * ?

    Stephane M, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Stephane M

    Brian A Guest

    If you want to get Asterisk and Linux working quickly with a web
    interface then try 'Asterisk at home'. No setting up at all . Load the
    disk and off it goes - it whirs away for about half an hour, only
    towards the end does it ask you any questions.
    It does reformat your disk though - it is a complete install including
    Perl, PHP and Apache. Ideal to go onto an old computer and then be
    controlled by your main computer via a web interface.
    Go to
    http://tinyurl.com/c3wvc

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 20, 2005
  6. that's what its aimed at doing. Except the GUI. AIUI if you edit the
    config files you have to stop and restart asterisk, so its not really
    an interactive application.

    If you want switchboard functionality and multiple VoIP providers
    Asterisk is capable of that. So I suspect is http://www.sipswitch.net/
    except it costs a bit.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 20, 2005
  7. it completely failed to load on my PC. Black screen, no activity.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 21, 2005
  8. Stephane M

    Brian A Guest

    You have to download the file
    asteriskathome-1.5.iso
    then burn it to a disk such that it is auto bootable.
    Once the disk is inserted it should start to boot up on its own and
    will eject when it has finished.
    If you have already done this and your computer is an old one that
    doesn't do bootable disks then you have the same problem you would
    have with any bootable disks.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 21, 2005
  9. Stephane M

    Jono Guest

    Download the MD5 file as well & check that you've not got a corrupt ISO.

    Jono, Sep 21, 2005
  10. not if it crashes part way through the install. No worries, I put a
    different distro on instead and added proper Asterisk.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Stephane M

    davew Guest

    On the AAH forum that has been noticed manu times. It seems to be with
    certain brands of CD-R's - try a different one.

    davew, Sep 21, 2005
  12. no point now I have Asterisk installed, is there ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Nah, unless you want all the management tools (which can be added
    separately).

    Thomas Rankin, Sep 21, 2005
  14. Stephane M

    John Daragon Guest

    Not so. The powerful "reload" command is your friend...

    --

    John Daragon
    argv[0] limited (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)

    John Daragon, Sep 21, 2005
  15. Stephane M

    John Daragon Guest

    Distro doesn't really matter much (except that ISDN appears to be easier
    with some (I uses SuSE in the main).
    No, not their hardware. They have a downloadable .iso of Debian,
    Asterisk 1.0.9 and a web server for the Flash Operator Panel. I think
    they charge you a little for configuration beyond the basic stuff once
    you have Asterisk installed.
    This is true. I think Asterisk at Home (AAH) has a graphical interface.
    It may do what you want...
    Yes. The Digium TDM4xx has four ports configurable as either FXO (line)
    or FXS (handset) by daughter boards.

    For a single PSTN line you'd need a Digium WildCard X100P (which they
    don't appear to manufacture any more). There are many clones around...

    These cards generate 1000 interrupts a second, and can be picky about
    PCI bus architecture. They don't like sharing interrupts, and the X100P
    will not detect UK caller ID.

    Alternatively you could buy an ATA (like the Sipura SPA-3000 at about
    £80) which would sit on your PSTN line and convert incoming calls to SIP
    for the and outgoing SIP calls to PSTN for asterisk.

    Of course, if all you want to do is to have a handset that talks to the
    PSTN and one or more VoIP providers, an SPA-3000 will do all of that on
    its own...

    Try this :

    http://www.automated.it/asterisk/lah-3-6-05_1.html

    jd

    John Daragon, Sep 21, 2005
  16. Stephane M

    Ben Mack Guest

    I've installed vanilla Asterisk and added AMP and FOP, but cannot find
    the rather nice php based config file editor that also comes with *@home
    - any clues?

    Cheers

    Ben Mack, Sep 22, 2005