    However, do you need to do anything to tell the router that some ip
    addresses are fixed/reserved, or will it automatically detect this -
    problematic if the computer is turned off presumably.

    Mark, Mar 24, 2006

  2. I don't have one of those models to play around with but on most routers you
    set the starting LAN DHCP address range like 192.168.1.100 and then tell the
    router the maximum number of IP address's it is allowed to give out like say
    50. That sets up the DHCP to give out 192.168.1.100 to 150. You then can
    assign address values from 102.168.1.151 and higher for your fixed IP
    values.

    Should your site have a power failure I suspect the router as you presently
    have it setup will most likely try to assign those values you have set as
    fixed to another router using DHCP. I have seen networks like you describe
    brought to a halt by a simple power line hit until every machine that had a
    "fixed IP" was unplugged from the network and were re-assigned a fixed IP
    higher than those in use by the DHCP part of the router.

    GlowingBlueMist, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Great, that makes sense, and the router does indeed let you set the
    starting and ending ip addresses for the dynamic addresses. Thanks for
    your help.

    Mark, Mar 25, 2006
  4. One last note, leave enough room between the end of the DHCP to the first
    fixed IP for possible future additional DHCP enabled devices.

    We usually stuck our fixed IP servers out in the xxx.xxx.xxx.222 to
    xxx.xxx.xxx.250 range just to get them out of the way and freeing up the
    lower range of address for DHCP users. It the fixed IP range pretty much
    depends on the personal preference of the person setting up the network.

    GlowingBlueMist, Mar 25, 2006