    as before. The original G and H has my Windows 2K installled on it, C and D
    is used for saving pictures.

    Thanks in advance if you can figure out what I'm trying to do.

    striker, Oct 18, 2004

  2. striker

    Edgie Guest

    Hi, hope this helps.
    Click on start>control panel then double click on administrative tools, then
    the same for computer management, in the window that opens click on the + by
    storage if it has not got a minus sign by it. Then click on disk management
    and right click the drive you want to change(you cannot change it to a drive
    with the same letter) and choose change drive letter and paths, choose
    change. Should be able to work it out from that.
    Note you cannot change the boot volume.

    Regards
    Chris

    Edgie, Oct 18, 2004

  3. "striker" <> wrote ...
    > Don't ask me how but when I installed a second hard drive the computer
    > assigned the 2 partitions G and H. I had another hard drive with C and D
    > plus 2 CD drives that took E and F. Now I've backed up my G and H with
    > Simple Backup because my G and H drive is going bad. When I installed the
    > new drive it wants to assign the new drive C and E with the old drive D

    and
    > H. I need a direction to a web site to help me figure this out. I can not
    > copy my backup using Simple Backup because it wants the same drive letters
    > as before. The original G and H has my Windows 2K installled on it, C and

    > is used for saving pictures.
    >
    > Thanks in advance if you can figure out what I'm trying to do.

    So wait a minute ....
    G & H has your OS installed
    C & D is for media

    SO which is the boot drive G or H?
    You backed up G & H where?
    You removed G & H and installed a new drive ... where is your OS?
    Now the PC want to assign the new drive as C & E even though C & E are
    already assigned!?

    I think you need to re-write your post.
    As the previous poster stated you can use Computer management to re-assign
    drive letters which excludes the primary boot partition.

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 18, 2004
  4. striker

    PC Guest

    "striker" <> wrote in message
    > Don't ask me how but when I installed a second hard drive the computer
    > assigned the 2 partitions G and H. I had another hard drive with C and D
    > plus 2 CD drives that took E and F. Now I've backed up my G and H with
    > Simple Backup because my G and H drive is going bad. When I installed the
    > new drive it wants to assign the new drive C and E with the old drive D
    > and H. I need a direction to a web site to help me figure this out. I can
    > not copy my backup using Simple Backup because it wants the same drive
    > letters as before. The original G and H has my Windows 2K installled on
    > it, C and D is used for saving pictures.
    >
    > Thanks in advance if you can figure out what I'm trying to do.

    Striker

    Your computer assign's drive letters at a hardware level on the following
    basis:

    Only one hard drive in the system
    C = the first partition of the first hard drive
    D = the first logical drive on the second partition of the first hard drive.
    E= the second logical drive on the second partition or the first logical
    drive on the third partition
    and so on

    For two drives
    C= the first partition of the first drive
    D= the first partition of the second drive
    E= the first logical drive in the second partition of the first drive with a
    second partition
    F= the second logical drive on the second partition of the first drive with
    a second partition

    CD Rom drives are then just 'tacked on the end' after the last letter
    assigned to the hard drives. Which one comes up first depends on which one
    is set to Master and which one Slave if you have two or more CD Roms.

    As you can see the situation can get very messy depending on how you
    partition your drives and the number of CD drives etc.
    Then of course if you're using XP (and 2000 I remember correctly) you have
    the delightfull ability to change the letters assigned with 'Administative
    Tools' in the control panel (disk management)

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 18, 2004