    Would be very grateful if someone can help.

    Many thanks
    JB

    SeventhStranger, May 30, 2004

  2. SeventhStranger

    D Guest

    If youve installed software to eg D and now wish to reassign, using Dos,
    then yr registry settings will be incorrect

    D, May 30, 2004

  3. SeventhStranger

    °Mike° Guest

    How do you manage to get removable drives
    assigned lower letters than your second hard
    drive in DOS? DOS should automatically assign
    your first primary partition on the first physical
    hard drive as "C", then (assuming your second
    drive is a physical drive, with a primary partition),
    it should assign the letter "D" to your drive 2.

    The CDRW/DVD should come after that.

    For more information, see:

    Order in Which MS-DOS and Windows Assign Drive Letters
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=51978

    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  4. SeventhStranger

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Mike, I've seen this happen myself, although infrequently, when adding a
    second hard drive to an existing W98 system. I think it was because of using
    the disk manager software that came with the second drive. I never did find
    a solution either. My guess is the software designer boogered the drive
    naming intentionally to keep existing program shortcuts to the CD drives
    intact. But that *is* only a guess <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 30, 2004
  5. SeventhStranger

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't think the OP is using a disk manager, since
    he/she wants to know how to assign drive letters
    in DOS.

    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  6. SeventhStranger

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    what is your operating system?

    the HDD2 was assigned F because the OS was installed without it. and was
    latter added.
    for win2k on up, start\run\diskmgmt.msc

    when you installed the OS with HDD2 installed, it was assigned accordingly.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 30, 2004
  7. SeventhStranger

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:29:27 GMT, in
    <XRouc.4785$>
    127.0.0.1 scrawled:

    How about:
    "Please can anyone remind me how to assign drive letters in DOS?"

    And how about the subject line?

    <snip>

    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  8. SeventhStranger

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    eh?

    DOS can be used in 95/98/nt/win2k/and limited use in XP.
    to find information on mounting devices on dos: net use ?

    as you well know, re-assigning drive letters in DOS without editing the
    registry will cause path problems.
    therefore, i asked what operating system so as to give him better advise on
    driveletter assignments using GUI.

    i assume the user is unfamiliar with all his options and has limited it by
    trying the DOS method.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 30, 2004
  9. SeventhStranger

    °Mike° Guest

    The OP asked how to assign drive letters in DOS, *not*
    a command prompt window; there are many, many people
    out there still using pure DOS.
    Bullshit! Assigning drive letters in DOS does not affect
    a GUI operating system that uses a registry.
    He already said DOS, and never mentioned any other OS
    or GUI.
    What a strange thing to assume.

    °Mike°, May 30, 2004
  10. Mike,

    thanks for wanting to help me with this.

    I have now been able to re-assign drive letters and have had no problems
    since doing so. I found a printed copy of my notes explaining how to do it.

    Maybe I should have made myself more clear by saying that I wanted to do it
    using the command prompt instead of saying DOS. Left myself wide open with
    that!!

    Anyway, it's all OK now.

    BTW, 'he' is a 'she' but 'she' is very grateful for your offer of help.

    JB

    SeventhStranger, May 31, 2004
  11. SeventhStranger

    Capt Morgan

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    How to change (re assign) drive letter using DOS

    In the event someone else ends up here looking for the DOS answer and reads

    entire post as I did (only to discover the answer wasn't there...) here it is:
    ------------

    Open Command Prompt.

    Type:

    diskpart

    At the DISKPART prompt, type:

    list volume

    Make note of the number of the volume whose drive letter you want to assign or change

    At the next DISKPART prompt, type:

    select volume X

    Substitute the drive letter you want to assign or change for X

    At the next DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:

    assign letter=Y

    Where Y is the new drive letter you want to assign or change.

    Capt Morgan, Oct 31, 2012