ASSIGNING A STATIC IP ADDRESS IN A DHCP NETWORK

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I was told that you can install a network printer as a local printer if you have the IP address. We have a DHCP network in our office. How do I assign a static IP address for the printer?

    Guest, Apr 15, 2004

  2. You have two options:
    Place a static DHCP address - Use a reservation, based on the printers MAC
    address.
    Or, set your printer's configuration to use a static IP address, and
    exclude that IP from your DHCP scope.

    Sartan Dragonbane, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Guest

    Kat Guest

    Reserve the ip(s) that you will be using for that printer in DHCP, so
    that the ip doesn't get cycled.

    Why are you trying to set up as local, if I may ask? Either way, static
    ip's for printers, etc are a good idea anyways.

    I'm persuming you weren't asking how to assign the ip to the printer: )

    Kat, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Guest

    Neil Guest

    create a reservation. (RTFM please)

    Neil, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Honestly, the reason why I ask this is because my boss is cheap and won't get another printer. We are using software from Fed Ex that requires a local printer to create reports and print labels. The old version did not need a local printer

    I'm sure this can't be done on a workstation and my boss, who is not even a techie, is the network administrator. And yes, i was kinda hoping to aks how to assign the number

    ----- Kat wrote: ----

    Reserve the ip(s) that you will be using for that printer in DHCP, so
    that the ip doesn't get cycled

    Why are you trying to set up as local, if I may ask? Either way, static
    ip's for printers, etc are a good idea anyways

    I'm persuming you weren't asking how to assign the ip to the printer:

    FRANZ wrote

    Guest, Apr 15, 2004
  6. Guest

    Kat Guest

    If you connect directly to a network print queue, you can't set defaults
    for items such as duplex printing. To work around this limitation, you
    can create a local device that points to the network printer, then
    create a local print queue by performing the following steps:

    From a command prompt, type
    NET USE LPT1: \\<printer server>\<printer> /persistent:yes
    to map the local LPT device to the network printer.

    Add a local printer in the usual way (go to Start, Settings, Printers,
    and click Add Printer).
    Specify a local device (LPT1), and configure the new printer.

    As for the IP. Make sure you follow previous posts about DHCP/static
    ip's. Depenind on what version server you are using, you can right click
    on the printer (control panel, printers) go to properties- server here
    is NT, go to ports/ add ports. You can add IP under properties on server
    though.

    Help?

    Kat, Apr 15, 2004
  7. Guest

    pittspeed Guest

    also...

    you could just create a print server, and install the printer on the print
    server locally... then create a port on an IP and assign the printer to
    it... on client machine just install 'network printer' .... all clients
    should install a 'network printer' and use net use lpt1 on the client for
    labels.

    won't get another printer. We are using software from Fed Ex that requires
    a local printer to create reports and print labels. The old version did not
    need a local printer.even a techie, is the network administrator. And yes, i was kinda hoping to
    aks how to assign the number.printer if you have the IP address. We have a DHCP network in our office.
    How do I assign a static IP address for the printer?

    pittspeed, Apr 16, 2004
  8. Guest

    Neil Guest

    or plug a parrallel cable into the printer (most net printers also have a
    parrallel prot and they autoswitch)

    Neil, Apr 16, 2004
  9. Guest

    pittspeed Guest

    makes me think it's older, non net ready... okidata days

    pittspeed, Apr 16, 2004