Assign static IPs to port of a managed switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Christian Neuner, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. Hallo group,

    is the following scenario possible:

    I want to connect 14 computer with GBit LAN via a GBit-Switch. Each of
    the computers should get his IP via DHCP (the switch should act as DHCP
    server). Every assigned IP address should depend on the port where the
    computer is connected.

    for example:
    computer 1 is connected to port 1 of the switch and gets IP address
    192.168.x.1,
    computer 2 is connected to port 2 of the switch and gets IP address
    192.168.x.2,
    computer 3 is connected to port 3 of the switch and gets IP address
    192.168.x.3,
    computer 14 is connected to port 14 of the switch and gets IP address
    192.168.x.14
    via the DHCP Server running on the switch.

    Is it possible to configure the DHCP server within the managed layer 2
    or layer 3 switch to assign IPs depending on the connected port?
    Is it possible use VLANs to get the same effect?

    Thanks
    Chris

    Christian Neuner, Jun 24, 2005

  2. :I want to connect 14 computer with GBit LAN via a GBit-Switch. Each of
    :the computers should get his IP via DHCP (the switch should act as DHCP
    :server). Every assigned IP address should depend on the port where the
    :computer is connected.

    :Is it possible to configure the DHCP server within the managed layer 2
    :eek:r layer 3 switch to assign IPs depending on the connected port?

    Most *switches* will not act as DHCP servers at all. Whether any
    particular switch will allow not only DHCP but location-sensitive DHCP
    would depend greatly on the switch model and software revision,
    which you have not specified.

    :Is it possible use VLANs to get the same effect?

    Not usually.

    If you want port-specific DHCP then you should use a switch that
    supports DHCP Forwarding, with Interface Tracking (Option 82).

    Walter Roberson, Jun 24, 2005