    seller about the falsely advertised 'factory new conditon' and top
    quality recording (actually degraded mpeg2 - like DVDshrunk from DVD9
    to DVD5) I have been offered a full refund - if I remove the feedback.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Aug 27, 2005

  2. T'was the Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:58:26 GMT when I remembered
    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) saying something like this:
    My opinion, leave the bad feedback so others don't get stung like
    yourself. However, more than likely you'll be thinking about your own
    pocket as well, so perhaps remove the bad feedback, and get the film
    studio's legal DCMA hawks onto it. They'll quickly sort out the seller
    no doubt.

    Waylon Kenning, Aug 28, 2005

  3. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    GraB Guest

    A friend of mine came back from Asia recently with a boxed set of the
    James Bond movies. It looked OK, properly printed box and DVD labels,
    etc. But I tried four and all had playback problems though the discs
    were pristine looking. All were single layer and some looked
    compressed so I guess they were a bootleg product. I don't know what
    he paid for them except they were cheap. They were normal pressed
    DVDs, not writeable DVDs.

    GraB, Aug 28, 2005
  4. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Mark C Guest

    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in

    I bought boxed Lord of the Rings trilogy from Whitcouls, that had
    scratches and fingerprints on them...

    I returned them, nominally as the first disk froze about 20 minutes
    into the movie, but I was not happy about the scratches either.

    So Asian boxed set might be legit, but crappy nonetheless.

    Mark

    Mark C, Aug 28, 2005
  5. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Daniel Guest

    Well, from what I've seen of those eBay Asian-based auctions, is that
    the sellers are not actually breaking any laws (i.e. they are legitimate
    versions sold in Asia) - this is why I think eBay hasn't shut them down
    (I refer to the eBay traders with lots of sales).

    However, there are a number of issues to consider when purchasing Asian
    sourced DVDs:-
    1) The "cheap" cost for the legal version needs to be taken into
    context, because they're competing with local pirates who are basically
    unpoliced.
    2) QA controls on those DVDs are effectively non-existent. Why should
    there be - there's no official consumer protection over there, like
    there is in the US and NZ. Keep in mind that they could probably tap out
    another entire 2-3 more sets of the same DVD series as replacements and
    still make a profit.

    IMHO, I think you should take the refund and then remove your feedback -
    assuming the refund amount is to your satisfaction. I'm guessing this
    guy already has negative feedback anyway, but, has done enough business
    with enough positives to make people think it's worth the risk (I'm sure
    if the guy had lots of negative feedback you would've stayed away anyhow).
    At least he's offering you a refund, which is still pretty good in my book.

    **A little eBay tip:**
    Unlike a certain local online auction site, you can contact other eBay
    members directly. Which means if you see bad feedback from someone then
    you can send them an email to find out more details if you're unsure
    about the seller.

    Daniel, Aug 28, 2005
  6. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Richard Guest

    Thats because NZ retailers seem to be let get away with selling people used
    products as new when it comes to CDs and DVDs
    I doubt they are legit, but at the right price they make a good alternative to
    torenting them ;)

    Richard, Aug 29, 2005