Article: XP2 More Trouble than is Worth

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tech.News, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Tech.News

    Tech.News Guest

    Of those polled, 63 per cent believed SP2 would prove the most difficult
    Windows update installation ever. Three per cent went as far as to claim
    their "blood pressure rises just thinking about it".

    Microsoft has acted quickly to compile a 100-page guide to resolve the
    myriad compatibility issues SP2 has with various applications, which
    included the company's own CRM software (see here).

    The line from Redmond is that it's the apps and not the operating system
    that require re-jigging. If you listen very, very carefully, you can just
    hear those IT managers' blood pressure rising...

    The marketing execs in question could be better utilised by helping plug
    the holes that continue to appear in the increasingly leaky-looking Windows
    XP Service Pack 2 dyke.

    First up is news that the hefty software upgrade has left a highly-critical
    flaw in Internet Explorer unplugged (see here) making it not so much
    'drag-and-drop' as 'drag-and-infect'. Now, there's a neat marketing slogan.

    Meanwhile, a report in PC Magazine claims that, following a tip-off, its
    lab team found a vulnerability in the Windows web systems management
    interface (WBEM) that could be used to exploit firewall status information.
    It described the security hole as a 'crater'.

    A recent study by InsightExpress found that most IT managers believe
    upgrading systems to Microsoft's latest security patch for Windows XP could
    generate serious problems (see here).

    http://comment.silicon.com/weeklyroundup/0,39024756,39123556,00.htm

    Tech.News, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Yeah well, it's anybody's fault BUT M$haft's. Now I suppose they'll blame
    AMD because their stupid OS won't run on AMD 64bit chips -
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18094

    And they've been caught lying again -
    http://www.asa.org.uk/index.asp
    Adjudications : By Advertiser Name (25th August 2004)
    Look under Microsoft.
    Or -
    "MS slammed over misleading Windows/Linux claims"
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18067

    'Course, this isn't the first time they've lied. Sweaty Blammer made a
    speech last October, comparing WinServer 2003 to RedHat 6......which came
    out in 1999!! What an idiot, who was he trying to fool? Oh yeeah, dumb
    windoze users.

    Perce P. Cassidy, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Tech.News

    xmp Guest

    That gives linux fanboys even more ammo. Did you see the ad where MS
    claims Windows Server is 10 times cheaper than linux? They compared
    Windows on a dual Xeon to linux on a mainframe. <g>

    michael

    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Tech.News

    friendly Guest

    A great majority install SP2 with no troubles or hassles.
    These are all relatively obscure and don't affect the large majority.
    Not the ones is the know.
    slogan.

    VERY obscure.

    friendly, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Tech.News

    SgtMinor Guest

    As I read this post I had a sense of deja vu.

    As I read this post I had a sense of deja vu.

    SgtMinor, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Tech.News

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You are a serious nut case about M$. You are the other half of Mrs. Chicken
    Little, with you ass up on your back.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Yes, & they got slammed for it by the UK Advertising Standars Agency.

    Perce P. Cassidy, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Tech.News

    Thai Opiates Guest

    We know.

    Thai Opiates, Aug 29, 2004
  9. Tech.News

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You didn't slit your throat with that Crack Pipe? You better leave that
    CRACK alone it has you talking to yourself. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 29, 2004