    (tried several) were in sync but I still cannot establish the host computer
    as, well, the host computer.
    Any suggestions welcome. thanks

    Guest, Sep 6, 2006

  2. To ascertain if ICS is indeed active, on any networking icon under
    Networking off Control Panel, just left click once. If the word "Shared"
    comes up on any, it is using ICS. To turn it off, right click on it, choose
    Properties and then click on the advanced tab. Under that will be a tick in
    a box that says "Allow other users to connect through this computer's
    Internet connection" (or words close to that in any case). Remove the tick
    and click OK.

    Now as to your problem, have you got the modem plugged in via ethernet cable
    to the router? You need to do that in order to have the others all connect.
    You do need to set up your security properly on it of course but otherwise
    it just works. Set up your passphrase, change the default SSID and login
    name/password to admin the router and that is really the basic setup. I
    would go further and add MAC filtering which can be a pain now and then if
    it has been a while between new NICs and you forget you are using it but
    with WPA2 and MAC filtering, you are better off than with WEP or nothing at
    all.

    If you have become confused, I recommend you hit the reset button and start
    again. With an ADSL modem plugged into the router, it doesn't matter whether
    any particular computer is on or not. If the router and modem are on, anyone
    should be able to use the net who is allowed to do so.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 6, 2006