    When are each of them used?

    Thanks,
    Lee G.

    goldtech, Nov 30, 2005

  2. goldtech

    Ben Smith Guest

    ARP cache is a listing of the MAC addresss to IP address (layer 2
    address to layer 3 address) that the computer has cached based on
    previous communication with the hosts that are listed in the cache. This
    prevents arp (rarp) lookup to hosts that it frequently comunicates with.
    The routing table instructs the computing how to reach remote hosts at
    layer 3.

    Ben Smith, Nov 30, 2005

  3. goldtech

    goldtech Guest

    layer 1 ,2,3

    I assume you're refering to the tcp/ip stack,

    Application, transport, Internet, network access...

    Could you tell me what layers you're refering to in you answer...

    goldtech, Nov 30, 2005
  4. goldtech

    Ben Smith Guest

    OSI Model in a nutshell

    Layer 1 = physical
    Layer 2 = data link
    Layer 3 = Network
    Layer 4 = Transport
    Layer 5 = Session
    Layer 6 = Presentation
    Layer 7 = application

    A bit computer scienc-y, but good =
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/introint.htm#xt
    ocid5

    A little more approachable =
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_reference_model

    Ben Smith, Nov 30, 2005
  5. goldtech

    LRM Guest

    Dude, OSI look it up.
    layer 1 physical
    layer 2 data link
    layer 3 network
    Jeez, go here, read:
    http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_Layers.asp

    LRM, Nov 30, 2005
  6. goldtech

    LRM Guest

    LRM, Nov 30, 2005
  7. goldtech

    CBIC Guest

    Do some research. Does your mom butter your toast for you still?

    CBIC, Nov 30, 2005
  8. goldtech

    TechGeekPro Guest

    My Mom does.

    TechGeekPro, Dec 1, 2005
  9. goldtech

    FrisbeeĀ® Guest

    LRM's answer was BETTER, Ben!!1!!!

    Neener neener neener!

    FrisbeeĀ®, Dec 1, 2005
  10. goldtech

    kpg Guest

    Layer 1 = physical

    Please Don't Nuke The Server P0rn Application

    All P0rn Seems To Need Downloading Promply

    kpg, Dec 1, 2005
  11. goldtech

    Neil Guest

    surprisingly, this one didn't come up in my classes. It might now :)

    Neil, Dec 1, 2005
  12. goldtech

    kpg Guest

    I just made it up.

    Guess I'm thinking about p0rn this morning.

    kpg, Dec 1, 2005
  13. goldtech

    Neil Guest

    who isn't..

    Neil, Dec 1, 2005
  14. goldtech

    LnkWizard Guest

    Why is this different from any other morning?
    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, Dec 1, 2005
  15. goldtech

    LRM Guest

    Excuse me, I'm not thinking of pr0n this morning. Well I wasn't until I read
    this post.

    LRM, Dec 1, 2005
  16. goldtech

    kpg Guest

    You have fallen into the trap.

    kpg, Dec 1, 2005
  17. goldtech

    Neil Guest

    see...it was only a question of time..

    Neil, Dec 1, 2005
  18. goldtech

    goldtech Guest

    There's the OSI vs. TCP/IP models and in "TCP/IP Network Admisitation"
    (O'reilly, by C. Hunt, pg 9). He numbers the 4 TCP/IP layers 1 to 4 as
    well...

    You ever read O'Reilly books Doom? Ask YOUR Mom to buy you one for the
    holidays!

    Ok you're talking the OSI model - Thanks.

    goldtech, Dec 1, 2005
  19. goldtech

    goldtech Guest

    Thanks for the support!